Steering Wheel Audio/cruise Control Don't Work - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 11:56 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
blacknite is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

i have a 98 528iA sport low mileage. My steering wheels controls for the radio/cruise control don't work and the airbag light came on. the only control that works on the steering wheel is the steering wheel heater. the airbag light goes on and off like its a bad connection. does any one know how to fix this problem or has experienced this problem before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 08:16 AM
1st Gear Member

tacroteau can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to tacroteau
Quote:
Originally posted by blacknite@Jan 25 2005, 01:56 AM
i have a 98 528iA sport low mileage. My steering wheels controls for the radio/cruise control don't work and the airbag light came on. the only control that works on the steering wheel is the steering wheel heater. the airbag light goes on and off like its a bad connection. does any one know how to fix this problem or has experienced this problem before?
[snapback]278633[/snapback]

It is a bad connection. The device that connects everything in your wheel to the "nonrotating" car is called a clockspring. These typically last to atleast 100K. and cost aroung $250. Thats what it sounds like to me.

tom
#3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 07:11 AM
n00b

kooij014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by blacknite@Jan 25 2005, 07:56 AM
I have the same problem and the dealer did not fixed it. But I have found out through other forums that there can be a number of problem most related to wire problems. My 528i Sport 1998 (touring it is called in Holland) has exactly the same problem I am afraid that the dealer will start replacing all kinds of modules without solving the problem.

Here some suggestions.

1. check your ignition switch it wears out after 100000 kilometers. You can easy check the switch by giving a knock under the switch you will see that the airbag light turns on and off :-).
Also a symptom for wear on the ignition switch is that you can turn the key around in the ignition switch without anything happing. But a lot of electrical is triggered by the ignition key.

2. under you front seats there is a connector which connects the airbag sensors under the front seats to the control unit. The connector also wear out and the easy way is to short circuit the wires. The connectors can cause problems because the move when you adjust your seat.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

tacroteau can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to tacroteau
HUH?

Quote:
Originally posted by kooij014+May 1 2005, 08:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kooij014 @ May 1 2005, 08:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-blacknite@Jan 25 2005, 07:56 AM
i have a 98 528iA sport low mileage.* My steering wheels controls for the radio/cruise control don't work and the airbag light came on. the only control that works on the steering wheel is the steering wheel heater.* the airbag light goes on and off like its a bad connection.* does any one know how to fix this problem or has experienced this problem before?*
I have the same problem and the dealer did not fixed it. But I have found out through other forums that there can be a number of problem most related to wire problems. My 528i Sport 1998 (touring it is called in Holland) has exactly the same problem I am afraid that the dealer will start replacing all kinds of modules without solving the problem.

Here some suggestions.

1. check your ignition switch it wears out after 100000 kilometers. You can easy check the switch by giving a knock under the switch you will see that the airbag light turns on and off :-).
Also a symptom for wear on the ignition switch is that you can turn the key around in the ignition switch without anything happing. But a lot of electrical is triggered by the ignition key.

2. under you front seats there is a connector which connects the airbag sensors under the front seats to the control unit. The connector also wear out and the easy way is to short circuit the wires. The connectors can cause problems because the move when you adjust your seat.
[snapback]339768[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)