Steering Issues With E39 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 03:38 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gates540i is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi all,
wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing a similar problem i have been having. Sometimes, not all the times, it seems like i am having problems with the active steering (oops not active steering, what's it called then?) with my 2001 540i. While in 1st gear the steering wheel is hard to turn. if I muscle through it, it frees up but can be scary if you arent expecting it. I can basically get it to happen everytime when i drive though the ID checkpoint at work. I stop to show ID, then i pull forward in 1st after about 25 feet i have to make a left turn. now if i dont have to stop for oncoming traffic and i dont shift to 2nd the steering wheel is very hard to turn when i make the left turn. it feels like car if fighting against me. if I hold the turn I can feel it eventually free up. If the car is in 2nd, i dont experience it and it doesnt happen everytime. anyone got any ideas? the guy i bought the car from says he experienced it to and every dealer he took it to, in belgium mind you :-( , had no idea what the heck he was talking about. maybe if someone else has experienced it, and fixed it, they could tell me what to have the dealer take a look at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 08:42 PM
n00b

iconnx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by gates540i@Jan 18 2005, 07:38 AM
Hi all,
wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing a similar problem i have been having. Sometimes, not all the times, it seems like i am having problems with the active steering with my 2001 540i. While in 1st gear the steering wheel is hard to turn. if I muscle through it, it frees up but can be scary if you arent expecting it. I can basically get it to happen everytime when i drive though the ID checkpoint at work. I stop to show ID, then i pull forward in 1st after about 25 feet i have to make a left turn. now if i dont have to stop for oncoming traffic and i dont shift to 2nd the steering wheel is very hard to turn when i make the left turn. it feels like car if fighting against me. if I hold the turn I can feel it eventually free up. If the car is in 2nd, i dont experience it and it doesnt happen everytime. anyone got any ideas? the guy i bought the car from says he experienced it to and every dealer he took it to, in belgium mind you :-( , had no idea what the heck he was talking about. maybe if someone else has experienced it, and fixed it, they could tell me what to have the dealer take a look at.
[snapback]273426[/snapback]
Firstly, you do not have 'Active Steering' on your '01 . Secondly what you are describing sounds like a fault with the power steering hydraulics, in whihc your case particularly sounds like you have either a faulty pump or a slipping belt. As k the service centre to check these items out for you, and also, make sure they take it for a drive and simulate the conditions that cause it to happen so that they know what you are talking about....

Cheers
Ram
#3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 03:58 AM
n00b

gates540i is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
sweet thanks, i'll got hit up the mechanic with this.

Quote:
Originally posted by iconnx+Jan 18 2005, 07:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iconnx @ Jan 18 2005, 07:42 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-gates540i@Jan 18 2005, 07:38 AM
Hi all,
wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing a similar problem i have been having. Sometimes, not all the times, it seems like i am having problems with the active steering with my 2001 540i. While in 1st gear the steering wheel is hard to turn. if I muscle through it, it frees up but can be scary if you arent expecting it. I can basically get it to happen everytime when i drive though the ID checkpoint at work. I stop to show ID, then i pull forward in 1st after about 25 feet i have to make a left turn. now if i dont have to stop for oncoming traffic and i dont shift to 2nd the steering wheel is very hard to turn when i make the left turn. it feels like car if fighting against me. if I hold the turn I can feel it eventually free up. If the car is in 2nd, i dont experience it and it doesnt happen everytime. anyone got any ideas? the guy i bought the car from says he experienced it to and every dealer he took it to, in belgium mind you :-( , had no idea what the heck he was talking about. maybe if someone else has experienced it, and fixed it, they could tell me what to have the dealer take a look at.
[snapback]273426[/snapback]
Firstly, you do not have 'Active Steering' on your '01 . Secondly what you are describing sounds like a fault with the power steering hydraulics, in whihc your case particularly sounds like you have either a faulty pump or a slipping belt. As k the service centre to check these items out for you, and also, make sure they take it for a drive and simulate the conditions that cause it to happen so that they know what you are talking about....

Cheers
Ram
[snapback]274394[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)