Spring & Struts - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 10:29 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bgwoody is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 97 540 and I.m thinking of purchasing front & rear springs and struts from a 2002 M5. Will this bolt up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by bgwoody@Feb 12 2005, 12:29 PM
I have a 97 540 and I.m thinking of purchasing front & rear springs and struts from a 2002 M5. Will this bolt up?
[snapback]290377[/snapback]
yes

#3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 10:54 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
yes but keep in mind this will not lower the car, it will actually make it sit slightly higher.

DT

DT

#4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 06:11 PM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Erm.... I don't know if it will make an 540 sit higher as they have the nice heavy V8 4.4 (In fact I'm sure it won't) but it would definetly make one of the I6's sit higher as they weigh less. But either way, please bear in mind that for a full set up you will need the dampers, bushes and sway bars also, to balance out the set and make her sit properly.

One of the problems with dropping an e39 is that they tend to sit awkwardly and scrub the inside shoulders of the tyres unless you change the bushes and swing arms (sorry sway arms in US speak).
#5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 06:43 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool+Feb 12 2005, 11:54 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dirty_Tool @ Feb 12 2005, 11:54 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>yes but keep in mind this will not lower the car, it will actually make it sit slightly higher.

DT
[snapback]290385[/snapback]
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-BeelZibub
@Feb 12 2005, 07:11 PM
Erm....* I don't know if it will make an 540 sit higher as they have the nice heavy V8 4.4 (In fact I'm sure it won't)* but it would definetly make one of the I6's sit higher as they weigh less. But either way, please bear in mind that for a full set up you will need the dampers, bushes and sway bars also, to balance out the set and make her sit properly.

One of the problems with dropping an e39 is that they tend to sit awkwardly and scrub the inside shoulders of the tyres unless you change the bushes and swing arms (sorry sway arms in US speak).
[snapback]290642[/snapback]
[/quote]

The real question becomes whether the engine of 97 540 is in fact lighter (in weight) than the 2002 M5's........I am assuming "slightly higher in DT's remark" refers to the lighter wieght of 97 540 V8 engine. The M5's is heavier, isn't it?
#6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
308lbs - M62 V8
348lbs - S62 V8

I don't think those 40 lbs will make it sit higher... I think there will be a drop. Probably very slight, but a drop nonetheless.

#7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 08:42 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I really don't whan to change the sway bar It looks like too much work I will replace the upper and lower arms though I hope I don't screw up the handling its so easy to do! The M5 struts and springs are matched white paint code on the front springs and green paint on the rears. I can't seem to find what the meaning of this code anywhere? Probably what transmission and acc. installed? Mines an auto. Any ideas Thanx Bill
#8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 06:47 AM
n00b

jmig is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by bgwoody@Feb 12 2005, 08:42 PM
I really don't whan to change the sway bar It looks like too much work I will replace the upper and lower arms though I hope I don't screw up the handling its so easy to do! The M5 struts and springs are matched white paint code on the front springs and green paint on the rears. I can't seem to find what the meaning of this code anywhere? Probably what transmission and acc. installed? Mines an auto. Any ideas Thanx Bill
[snapback]290697[/snapback]
I replaced springs, struts, shocks and rear sway on my 97 540 6 speed and while doing so met a guy local in MD. that had put M5 springs, struts and springs on his 540 and it did raise his car. He ended putting his sport springs back on.

Do you have sport suspension? I did and wanted to lower my car so I went with H&R sport springs and Bilsteins sport struts and shocks. Also the rear sway is a easy DIY, the front is another story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	right_rear_2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	866.3 KB
ID:	17334  

1997 540i6 sport

OE M5 wheels
OE front lip spoiler
OE decklid spoiler
M tech rear bumper
H&amp;R sport springs
Bilsteins Sport shocks and struts
Hella Halogen angel eyes
M5 kidney grilles
Rolled rear fenders
#9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 06:40 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by jmig+Feb 13 2005, 05:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmig @ Feb 13 2005, 05:47 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-bgwoody@Feb 12 2005, 08:42 PM
I really don't whan to change the sway bar It looks like too much work I will replace the upper and lower arms though I hope I don't screw up the handling its so easy to do!* The M5 struts and springs are matched white paint code on the front springs and green paint on the rears. I can't seem to find what the meaning of this code anywhere? Probably what transmission and acc. installed? Mines an auto.* Any ideas Thanx Bill
[snapback]290697[/snapback]
I replaced springs, struts, shocks and rear sway on my 97 540 6 speed and while doing so met a guy local in MD. that had put M5 springs, struts and springs on his 540 and it did raise his car. He ended putting his sport springs back on.

Do you have sport suspension? I did and wanted to lower my car so I went with H&R sport springs and Bilsteins sport struts and shocks. Also the rear sway is a easy DIY, the front is another story.
[snapback]290917[/snapback]
[/b][/quote] No my car isn't the sport (wish it was) At 100K the bushing are shot and the shocks should be going soon. This local guy replaced his M5 struts & springs with Dinion stuff at 3K miles and I firgured what the hell I replaced struts and control arms on my E34 and swore I'd never do it again. But when I get price quotes I find myself digging out the tools. Maybe I'll just replace the bushings and call it good. Bill
#10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 01:22 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Once again it WILL sit higher. I never said anything about the engine having anything to do with it. Go and measure ride height on an M5 as compared to a 540 and you will see. I have done 2 540-m5 suspension swaps. measured both before and after, it sits higher. Did you think that I just pulled this out of my butt?

DT

DT

#11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 05:36 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool@Feb 14 2005, 02:22 AM
Once again it WILL sit higher. I never said anything about the engine having anything to do with it. Go and measure ride height on an M5 as compared to a 540 and you will see. I have done 2 540-m5 suspension swaps. measured both before and after, it sits higher. Did you think that I just pulled this out of my butt?

DT
[snapback]291600[/snapback]
I did mention the engine as a possibilty so if it is not an engine issue what is it? the answer may help us understand more and make your point. Is it simply a higher suspension by design/default..period.
#12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by billB+Feb 14 2005, 03:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billB @ Feb 14 2005, 03:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dirty_Tool@Feb 14 2005, 02:22 AM

DT
I did mention the engine as a possibilty so if it is not an engine issue what is it? the answer may help us understand more and make your point. Is it simply a higher suspension by design/default..period.
[snapback]291631[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Yes it is just higher by design. Although you wouldnt think that it would be I learned this by doing the swaps that I did. Just because it sits higher doesnt mean it doesnt handle because we all know it handles amazingly. But I just wanted to warn people doing the swap that of they are doing it to lower the car then that is not the result they will get.

DT

DT

#13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 09:06 PM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool+Feb 14 2005, 01:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dirty_Tool @ Feb 14 2005, 01:18 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Feb 14 2005, 03:36 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Dirty_Tool
Quote:
@Feb 14 2005, 02:22 AM

DT

[snapback]291631[/snapback]

Yes it is just higher by design. Although you wouldnt think that it would be I learned this by doing the swaps that I did. Just because it sits higher doesnt mean it doesnt handle because we all know it handles amazingly. But I just wanted to warn people doing the swap that of they are doing it to lower the car then that is not the result they will get.

DT
[snapback]291725[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Fair enough; it is the M5 stuff that is higher by design.....thanks DT and I rest my case....You are the authority..that much I know
#14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 11:51 AM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Well blow me down with a feather, just looked up some figures at BMW UK and came up with this:

m5 height = 1437
540 height = 1435

So yep the ///M is higher by 2cm on a standard e39 or 17cm if you have an e39 sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)