Sport Package - How To Tell? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 07:16 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
twistnturn is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

First post...

I am considering purchasing a used 540i 6 speed that allegedly has a sport package. I have searched the forums and have come up with little except that the exterior trim pieces are all black, sport wheels, non-wood interior trim and a rear air suspension.

Trouble is, the owner claims it is a sport: it has the sport wheels and the black trim, but it has a simulated wood interior. I don't have any reason to disbelieve him, but he bought it used and he could have been faked out by the original owner. I just want to know for sure!

Regards,
twistnturn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 10:34 PM
Neutral Member

bobs530i is an unknown quantity at this point
just get the vin # and call your local bmw dealer and they are usually happy to look up the package list on it for you.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 01:16 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
post the last 7 digits of the VIN in here.

DT

#4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 04:38 PM
n00b

hpacc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool@Nov 21 2004, 01:16 AM
[snapback]234606[/snapback]
i just got a 1990 525i, and i was wondering the same thing. its kinda loud and my boss, a bimmer fanatic says its because i've happened upon an "r" model with a sporty stainless muffler.

he says "r" stands for racing, but i haven't found any labels or paperwork with "r" or "sport" to back up these thoughts. the wheels look different than others i've seen. there is wood trim inside.

the car drives great! sport or not, i'm in love with my first bmw. @ 3k, i feel like i stole it.

VIN = WBAHC2312LBE28168

#5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 01:21 AM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
If I'm not mistaken, ALL 540i 6speeds are already with sport package.

540i Automatics with sport package would include:

///M sports steering wheel
Sports seats with thigh supports
Black (shadowline) window trims
Steptronic
17" rims 235-45-17 front / 255-40-17 rear
lower sports suspension

There might be more but these are what I can think of now...

#6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 04:03 AM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't think all 540i6's are sported up - least not this side of the water - ALL 540's sport or not DO have the m-tec sports suspension and the air suspension, as far as I am aware steptronic is standard on all 540ia's too. The sport and non sport come with the 17" rims too.

BUT even a person buying a sport has options, say I was buying one and didn't like the aluminium style interior trim (which I don't) there's nothing stopping me from having the wood trim fitted instead as an option.

I don't know what your registration documents are like over there but over here it lists exactly what car you own ie. 528i, 528i SE, 528i ES or 528 sport right there on the documents. Also as someone has mentioned ring the dealer and he will tell you what car it is and what options were added with the original order. Also remember a lot of people don't like the silver style trim and retrofit the wood - which is certainly not simulated wood- it is WOOD, REAL WOOD covered in a plastic laminate that's why it will look slightly different in all cars.

Just to set things straight, as far as powerplant, gearbox etc. is concerned there is no difference what so ever between a sport model and it's non sport equivalent when it comes to performance. The only differences are the looks (interior and exterior) are deemed to be more aggressive and sporty than luxurious (chrome and big seats) and the handling is improved due to the m-tec suspension and damper set up and smaller m-tec steering wheel + the front seats hold you better. Apart from that they are exactly the same car and will do exactly the same 0-60 and exactly the same top speed.

oh and to hpacc your boss is obviously NOT a BMW fanatic. There is no such thing as r type BMW - thinking HONDA TYPE 'R' MAYBE? - Honda's version of BMW's M (abv. of M-TEC, abv. of MotorSport - Technologies.) and that 5er of yours certainly aint no M5 - anyone coulda put a sports can on it.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 07:49 AM
n00b

newdad52001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to newdad52001 Send a message via MSN to newdad52001
Quote:
Originally posted by twistnturn@Nov 20 2004, 07:16 PM
First post...

I am considering purchasing a used 540i 6 speed that allegedly has a sport package. I have searched the forums and have come up with little except that the exterior trim pieces are all black, sport wheels, non-wood interior trim and a rear air suspension.

Trouble is, the owner claims it is a sport: it has the sport wheels and the black trim, but it has a simulated wood interior. I don't have any reason to disbelieve him, but he bought it used and he could have been faked out by the original owner. I just want to know for sure!

Regards,
twistnturn
[snapback]234465[/snapback]
What year?? If this is the newer 5 series with the sport package it is easy to tell. Sport seats, M steering wheel, front spoiler, rear apron. If this is an older 5 series, please take into account that this was avail in 1995 and only 200 were imported into the US. Available in manual and automatic.

Tony Allison

2004 325ci (SOLD)
1995 540i (FOR SALE)
1989 325 Convertible (Track Car)
#8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 05:33 PM
n00b

hpacc is an unknown quantity at this point
nevermind.....reed hpacc read
#9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 06:11 PM
/Banned

Johnathan_Hess will become famous soon enough Johnathan_Hess will become famous soon enough
I know that the 1995 540i with a six speed is automatically a sport package -- sport seats, and beefier anti-roll bars.

Long live the e34.

That is all.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 07:04 AM
n00b

dbalogh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BeelZibub@Nov 24 2004, 04:03 AM
Don't think all 540i6's are sported up - least not this side of the water - ALL 540's sport or not DO have the m-tec sports suspension and the air suspension, as far as I am aware steptronic is standard on all 540ia's too. The sport and non sport come with the 17" rims too.

BUT even a person buying a sport has options, say I was buying one and didn't like the aluminium style interior trim (which I don't) there's nothing stopping me from having the wood trim fitted instead as an option.

I don't know what your registration documents are like over there but over here it lists exactly what car you own ie. 528i, 528i SE, 528i ES or 528 sport right there on the documents. Also as someone has mentioned ring the dealer and he will tell you what car it is and what options were added with the original order. Also remember a lot of people don't like the silver style trim and retrofit the wood - which is certainly not simulated wood- it is WOOD, REAL WOOD covered in a plastic laminate that's why it will look slightly different in all cars.

Just to set things straight, as far as powerplant, gearbox etc. is concerned there is no difference what so ever between a sport model and it's non sport equivalent when it comes to performance. The only differences are the looks (interior and exterior) are deemed to be more aggressive and sporty than luxurious (chrome and big seats) and the handling is improved due to the m-tec suspension and damper set up and smaller m-tec steering wheel + the front seats hold you better. Apart from that they are exactly the same car and will do exactly the same 0-60 and exactly the same top speed.

oh and to hpacc your boss is obviously NOT a BMW fanatic. There is no such thing as r type BMW - thinking HONDA TYPE 'R' MAYBE? - Honda's version of BMW's M (abv. of M-TEC, abv. of MotorSport - Technologies.) and that 5er of yours certainly aint no M5 - anyone coulda put a sports can on it.
[snapback]236602[/snapback]
:nana Your typical smart-ass reply. If he says his boss is a fanactic, he's a fanatic. One would think he knows him better than you moron. He can be a fanatic and mistaken just as you think you're always right but you're wrong. You have anidle mind and that is the devils workshop. Go set yourself on fire oh dark one.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 07:29 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
I think the model year needs to be taken into consideration as to what features would convey with the Sport package and whether the Sport package comes standard with the 6-speed 540. For instance, the 1995 model year was near the end of the E34 model run, so even if all 6-speeds in 1995 had the Sport package, it doesn't mean the same is true for 2001 or some other more recent year.

For instance, my 1999 540 has the Sport package (I know because I have the original window sticker), but has the wood grain trim. I've seen newer E39's that feature the "brushed aluminum" look in lieu of the wood.

What I am now wondering is whether the Sport package (for my year 1999, naturally) includes the 3.15 limited-slip rear. I really would like to see a year-by-year roundup of exactly what comes on the 540's sport package.

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
#12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 07:34 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by hpacc+Nov 22 2004, 06:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hpacc @ Nov 22 2004, 06:38 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dirty_Tool@Nov 21 2004, 01:16 AM
[snapback]234606[/snapback]
i just got a 1990 525i, and i was wondering the same thing. its kinda loud and my boss, a bimmer fanatic says its because i've happened upon an "r" model with a sporty stainless muffler.

he says "r" stands for racing, but i haven't found any labels or paperwork with "r" or "sport" to back up these thoughts. the wheels look different than others i've seen. there is wood trim inside.

the car drives great! sport or not, i'm in love with my first bmw. @ 3k, i feel like i stole it.

VIN = WBAHC2312LBE28168

[snapback]235434[/snapback]

[/b][/quote]

HPACC -

Wow, what a B-E-A-utiful 5 sedan!! I've always liked the E34, but yours is among the sweetest-looking I've seen! I definitely agree that you stole that thing. As long as you can turn a wrench or two, I'd say you made out well! Congrats, man!
-Eric

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)