Speaker problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:23 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Dude is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Speaker problems

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and still learning about my BMW. Whenever I turn my radio on, there is this incredibly loud cracking and popping noise. Now I am not much of an electronics guy, so I have asked around and some people have told me it's the speakers while others say it's the wiring. Can someone help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
It could be alot of things and its not always as simple as "it's the speakers" or "it's the wiring". Do you have an aftermarket system in the car or is it stock?
#3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM
n00b

The Dude is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
It's all stock
#4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
It's all stock
Hmm. You have a 21-22 year old stereo in your car then. It could be a lot of things. My first thought is the fact everything is 21-22 years old is probably the first issue you're having. Personally, I wouldn't even know where to start looking. Is the crackling/popping coming from any specific speaker the most or is it in all of them?

If it is occurring in all of them I would imagine there is a problem with the head unit/receiver itself or there is a short in the amplifier (at least I believe there is an amplifier in the e28 for the stereo).

If the crackling is audible in a specific speaker then there is the possibility that speaker is on it's way out.

One last question though. Does the crackling/popping persist when the stereo is on or does it only occur when it turns on?
#5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 AM
n00b

loping is on a distinguished road
Ill give you some insite on my bmw 1990 525i. i had the stock stereo in the car. and everything was dandy. i could turn it up loud but i put a cassete in the cassete player in the stereo and then something magical happend the ping that changes it from cassete to fm tuner messsed up so my brother gave me his pice of shit deck with rca cables that dont work and i was like SWEET i could lissen to w.e i wanted now cuz it had aux in and usb port in the front. realy awsome i thought.. haha well long story short i cut the cables and hooked it up the best i could i ran into a problem tho. and that was that the amp in the back wasent geting power. so i fixed that problem. now the problem was that when i turned it up past 20-30 on some song it would crackle just like your taking about. im almost 100% sure that it;s your deck it;'s blown cuz i went to walmart and spent 40 bucks on a cheap deck thinking it wouldent work. it was the speakers. but meany it was the deck. anywho.. i hooked it up only to notice that my back speakers arint working. So low and behold you have to cross over some wires * if you cut them* i dont know your setup. but plz put pictures up. realys helps me understand. and theirs not to many people trying to do things to their bmws. but my hands hurt and ive posted on like 4 stereo problems in the past 20 minits. but best word of advice is talk to me. i just installed a stereo and it's loud and nice. and i even got a sub in my car. ill upload pictures of everything. mind you. my sub was free and so was the amp. 200 watts wont go all crazy.. at least with my setup lol. but you can get a 1000 watt amp for 129 bucks online ill provide you with a link on it later best amp you ever had that was aftermarket for the price. hehe but anyways add me or email me at spazman1990@gmail.com or spazman1990@hotmail.com my hands hurt so im going to take a shower. later contact me before you go all crazy lol: ) the names joseph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)