Speaker Diameter For E39 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:13 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
amcdermo is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Speaker Diameter For E39

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows what the standard size speaker diameter is.
I want to up grade my speakers, and what would anyone recomend.

used:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

dyami is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dyami
get a tape measure and mesure it. whats wrong with the factory speakers? they are generally better quality then what you can buy at those cheap places like Best Buy and circuit city.

"Real BMW's have chipped emblems."
#3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 05:15 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
If memory serves me right they should be 5.25" front and rear. As far as replacing them, I love my Infinity Kappas but you REALLY need to go and listen to a bunch of different brands and make that decision yourself. Music is a very personal thing and what sounds good to me may not sound good to you. Our ears are shaped different (like a fingerprint), and we all perceive music differently.

hope that helps...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyami
get a tape measure and mesure it. whats wrong with the factory speakers? they are generally better quality then what you can buy at those cheap places like Best Buy and circuit city.
Factory speakers generally arent very good. Esp. if you are an audiophile. Im going with 6.5" speakers for my car, isnt hard to do a little bit of metal cutting to make them fit. The difference between 5.25 and 6.5 speakers is huge. They reproduce mids and lows much more efficiently and deeply.

It all depends on your budget, really. A set of coax 6.5" speakers range from $19/pair(pyle) to $10,000/pair of rainbow cs360 component speakers(one pair of speakers.)

Most people who want an aftermarket stereo should usually aim for spending around $1000 if they want to replace all factory speakers and have a "decent" sounding stereo system. The sound system I have in pieces right now which consists of 2 amps, 1 headunit, and 2 sets of component speakers and a single nice 12" sub, and it roughly retails as is for around 11 grand.

Goto a professional audio store and ask their techs. Give them your expectations and listen to the equipment they have. Tell them your price range, and go from there. NOTHING can replace a properly built sound stage. You can make excellent speakers sound like shit, and vice versa.

Last edited by nukeduster; 11-25-2005 at 08:21 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 08:31 PM
n00b

Jon G. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeduster
Factory speakers generally arent very good. Esp. if you are an audiophile. Im going with 6.5" speakers for my car, isnt hard to do a little bit of metal cutting to make them fit. The difference between 5.25 and 6.5 speakers is huge. They reproduce mids and lows much more efficiently and deeply.

It all depends on your budget, really. A set of coax 6.5" speakers range from $19/pair(pyle) to $10,000/pair of rainbow cs360 component speakers(one pair of speakers.)

Most people who want an aftermarket stereo should usually aim for spending around $1000 if they want to replace all factory speakers and have a "decent" sounding stereo system. The sound system I have in pieces right now which consists of 2 amps, 1 headunit, and 2 sets of component speakers and a single nice 12" sub, and it roughly retails as is for around 11 grand.

Goto a professional audio store and ask their techs. Give them your expectations and listen to the equipment they have. Tell them your price range, and go from there. NOTHING can replace a properly built sound stage. You can make excellent speakers sound like shit, and vice versa.

I agree, unless you're willing to spend $$$ you'll not easily beat the stock speakers. I did it and it was a lot of work for very little improvment. Replace the amp first for the biggest bang-for-buck. You'll need four sets of crossovers as well since the OE amplifier has integral crossovers.

-Jon

---------------------
'02 530i
'03 SVT Cobra Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)