Someone Help Me - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 11:05 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
boeuf is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Im having big trouble can someone help. I have a 97 540 6 speed with about 120,000 miles. last week as i was driving around, when my back wheels locked up on me which almost caused and accident. I took to the dealer to find out what happened, they told my that my rear differential and my axle shaft is gone. the dealer quoted me at $3500 to fix it. Does anyone out there has any suggestions. i love my car but i dont have that type of money at this time. im located in central massachusetts so if anyone has any suggestions on what to do please let me know

thank you
Boeuf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 12:14 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
I would try to find a low mileage differential at a local junkyard. Have your dealer or any competent BMW shop install it. That should save you quite a bit of money and get you back on the road.

DT

DT

#3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 12:19 AM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
i've never seen a bmw in my local junkyard especially 97+
anyone knows where there are bmw junkyards in maryland?

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
#4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 12:22 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by superdeadman@Aug 16 2005, 11:19 PM
[snapback]370142[/snapback]

Many of these junkyards do sort of network with each others...call them or pay a local one a visit..they'll help you

regards
billb
#5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 11:21 AM
n00b

midi is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by superdeadman@Aug 16 2005, 10:19 PM
Brandywine has a big network of junk yards in MD. You should be able to call any one of them and have them locate and pull what you need. I would identify a shop first that will do the install, just a suggestion.

Otherwise there must be some online shops that part of BMWs, I know there is for Porsche.

Jeff
#6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 09:55 PM
n00b

ajt3nc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by superdeadman@Aug 17 2005, 12:19 AM

I have had good service from http://www.theeurodepot.com/usede39parts.html
#7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 01:03 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Try www.car-part.com. That hooks you up with a nationwide network of salvage dealers.

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
#8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 01:10 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
I'd find it hard to believe that you couldn't find a local salvage yard with the parts you need. People wreck BMW's too.

If you absolutely can't find such, try the link below. I have personal experience with these folks and would recomend. Good people, warranty what they sell, and offer fast shipping, albeit freight will eat you alive on such parts, hence me urging you to look locally.

BMW recycling

btw, I would advise against having the dealer do the work. Find a local Autohaus that feels confortable with such a task, and has a decent reputation.

#9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Aug 28 2005, 01:10 PM
I'd find it hard to believe that you couldn't find a local salvage yard with the parts you need. People wreck BMW's too.

If you absolutely can't find such, try the link below. I have personal experience with these folks and would recomend. Good people, warranty what they sell, and offer fast shipping, albeit freight will eat you alive on such parts, hence me urging you to look locally.

BMW recycling

btw, I would advise against having the dealer do the work. Find a local Autohaus that feels confortable with such a task, and has a decent reputation.
[snapback]372985[/snapback]
Believe it or not, I went to 3 or 4 salvage yards a few weeks ago, just to see if they had any BMWs (needed a foglight for dads 5er and I was looking for 2 headrests for my car -- wanted to install them in the rear seat), and I only saw 1 e30 318is ... and maybe 10 other European cars altogether.

My guess is that people part their cars out rather than sell it to junkyards for next to nothing. I mean, think about it, what would you do if you totaled your car ?

#10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2005, 05:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

bimmer3214 is on a distinguished road
i would cry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)