Some problems to diagnose.... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 03:24 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
makaveli2k is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Some problems to diagnose....

hey,
Another problem here. My e34 a couple of days would take a while to start, you could here the starter trieng but it just wouldn't turn over. So thinking it was my battery I asked my friend for a boost. Thing is the terminals rent coloured and so I think he hooked it up wrong to my car. Anyway now after that the dash thing that displays "inspection" etc. well now when I try to start it the starter won't even respond, it will like try once and die, it's making this awful noise. Now I went out with the volt meter and tested the power from the battery, It's at 11.4/11.2. This is when the car is in the off position. As this is my first car and im not quite sure about these things woulld that voltage be adequite to power everything to start or perhaps my fuse blown or something? My windows and lock still work.

Also I have quite a problem with my locks, My drivers side lock is the only one that works, and not too well. I can't turn it too the left, even If I apply a good amount of pressure(close to breaking the key man!) I can turn my key to both sides on my passenger door but it does nothing what so ever won't open won't lock won't do anything. so basically my drivers side door is the only one that opens and I have to twist it to the right and I hve to wait until it kind of double locks its self and then I can open the door, sometimes it locks sometimes it stops at the open position...and that is my drivers door no other door will open unless done so from inside.

One more problem before I leave you guys alone :-), I had a cassette deck in the car it worked fine and all, and I wanted to take it out and put it my mp3/cd deck. I had an emergency come up and so I left my friend to do it.. thinking he was capable. we pulled it and found out that the wiring wasn't OEM and so I told him to remeber the wires and then put everything accordingly on the new deck. I then had to go after this point and when I get back he didn't remeber the wiring and so I tested the wires with my voltmeter.. I'm getting less than 3.5 volts on one wire and the rest are nothing even when the car is in the on position. I then found out that he connected everything with both terminals still connected to the battery. Now my question regarding this is how do I check if a fuse is blown, just take it out and test the connection with out it or what?

I'm learning here so take it easy with me

LMK
-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 01:40 PM
n00b

BALKAN is on a distinguished road
first of all, dont let your friend even come close to your car. check all your fuses, pull'em out and see if the connection is burned/broken. The relays can be test with ohms/volt meter, simple touch each connection and see if current will travel. you should get a certain reading if its good, if none then its bad. Most likely you have bad door actuaters. As for the radio, its probably damaged by now, i suggest you take the car to reputable shop and have them install the mp3/cd unit, instead of the original deck. circuit city is one of the best places (at least here) to do sterio work, very clean and they back up there work. They usually hava a cheep new unit and installation for $99.
good luck.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 10:08 PM
n00b

makaveli2k is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
thanks, he blew the fuse to the radio so I replaced that and installed it myself. Working like a charm but the only thing is that I'm not getting a 12 volt lead when the car is off so I had to connect the memory lead to the switched 12 volt one. It could be my beyond dead battery. I'll test the leads when I get a new battery.

I have climate control in my e34. but I notice that the motor blows, but I don't think im getting any hot air when the car is warmed up. I'll confirm this at a later date. I'll check the door actuators. I think it may be my drivers side, I can open it and I hear the central locking work in all the doors but they aren't popping up even on the passenger side.

once again thanks alot. BTW I just recentley got a bentley manual and my head gasket needs replacing. They detail head removal very well but I ust want to get some feedback, how long does it normally take and with all thsoe instructions how hard was it? come into any problems?

Let me know
-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)