BMW Werkz banner

Some Pics Of My Supercharger Install

6K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  ///M Power 
#1 ·
Hi,

here are some pics of the supercharger kit that VF Engineering in Anaheim, CA is installing on my 2000 540/6. It's not 100% finished, as they are waiting for GIAC to encrypt the software. It should be done by mid-next week.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Originally posted by sp0rky@May 20 2005, 02:22 PM
nice setup

How much boost are you going to run?
are you having the internals built up to handle high boost?
S/C 540s are beasts, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)
[snapback]346504[/snapback]​

I'm going to start with 6 1/2 lbs of boost. That should be sufficient to put down 360-370 rwhp. According to VF Engineering, no internal mods are needed. I do have a SPEC Stage 2 clutch kit and LTW flywheel going in the next couple of weeks.

#4 ·
Originally posted by Dustin540-6+May 20 2005, 03:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dustin540-6 @ May 20 2005, 03:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-sp0rky@May 20 2005, 02:22 PM
nice setup

How much boost are you going to run?
are you having the internals built up to handle high boost?
S/C 540s are beasts, I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)
[snapback]346504[/snapback]​

I'm going to start with 6 1/2 lbs of boost. That should be sufficient to put down 360-370 rwhp. According to VF Engineering, no internal mods are needed. I do have a SPEC Stage 2 clutch kit and LTW flywheel going in the next couple of weeks.
[snapback]346507[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]
6.5psi is definately a decent number and still in the safe area for internals. The combo of the LTW flywheel and SC is going to be insane in terms of easy revving. Maan that sounds fun. <jealous>

#9 ·
hey spOrky - do you mind me askin where you got those rims? My 540 is the same color as yours, and those rims look really sweet... I picture my 540 when I look at your picture 0 should look good.... Where did you get th :cheers ose, and if you don`t mind - how much are they?
Thanks
A9

#10 ·
i've been considering doing something dumb to my car recently.

I have access to a T4 turbo that i can pick up for 50 bucks, in full working order, new turbine and everything. All I need to do is get an exhaust and intake manifold machined by my buddy to do it.

Problem is, That turbo can throw upwards of 30psi of boost. I know i'm never going NEAR that number, but still, my car has 120,000miles on it. I'm considering around 6psi of boost, will that blow my engine to itty bitty bits?

#2 would be, my car is an automatic :( . I'd need a blow off valve and some way to hook it into the tranny to get it to...you know...blow off instead of blow up. I'm betting thats gonna require an expensive computer modification.

Info would be nice.

BTW man, Nice friggin 540, i'd KILL to drive that thing.

#11 ·
:naughty Where is VF Engineering in Anaheim? Im in Yorba Linda. Perhaps you can let me see and hear it, so I can drool over this once its completed?

#12 ·
Originally posted by d3ity@May 22 2005, 05:04 PM
i've been considering doing something dumb to my car recently.

I have access to a T4 turbo that i can pick up for 50 bucks, in full working order, new turbine and everything. All I need to do is get an exhaust and intake manifold machined by my buddy to do it.

Problem is, That turbo can throw upwards of 30psi of boost. I know i'm never going NEAR that number, but still, my car has 120,000miles on it. I'm considering around 6psi of boost, will that blow my engine to itty bitty bits?

#2 would be, my car is an automatic :( . I'd need a blow off valve and some way to hook it into the tranny to get it to...you know...blow off instead of blow up. I'm betting thats gonna require an expensive computer modification.

Info would be nice.

BTW man, Nice friggin 540, i'd KILL to drive that thing.
[snapback]346925[/snapback]​

No, you don't need or want a blow off valve. not the right kind of thing for the way our engines are set up. Nothing hooks to the tranny either. It's just that the automatics are rated at around 300hp max, so you have to stay under that or you'll tear it up.

You won't need a custom intake manifold either. Nothing connects past the AFM except a small vacuum line.

120,000 miles on the engine if you stay around 6psi shouldnt be bad, but you could always replace the headgasket as a precaution, because thats what will blow first.

If you go FI, tehres so much more. You'll need engine software (stand alone engine management recommended), stronger fuel injectors, high flow fuel pump (not required on this car, but recommended), rrfpr, and you definately should go intercooled - so add an intercooler. It gets expensive! :)

#13 ·
Yeah thats a bit pricey. The transmission in my car isnt too much of a worry for me, as 300hp is all i'd ever want to throw down in my car. My driving skills aren't at that point and my bank account isnt there to pay for my fuckups either.

But my question would be, without a blowoff, where is all that boost gonna go when the tranny does that whole...shifting thing it likes to do?

#15 ·
It's called a recirculation valve. This is what peopel replace with BOV's. BOV's are illegal by the way and unless specifically tuned after the BOV can make your engine run rich.

And where the fuck can someone get a t4 turbo for $50???? It's not as easy as just slapping on any old turbo to your car.

The BOV sound is made when the gas pedal is released, not when a shift is made.

#16 ·
Originally posted by ///M Power@Jun 18 2005, 09:43 PM
It's called a recirculation valve. This is what peopel replace with BOV's. BOV's are illegal by the way and unless specifically tuned after the BOV can make your engine run rich.

And where the fuck can someone get a t4 turbo for $50???? It's not as easy as just slapping on any old turbo to your car.

The BOV sound is made when the gas pedal is released, not when a shift is made.
[snapback]354875[/snapback]​

That turbo is off of a conquest that was recently scrapped due to problems with the head.

My buddy has PILES of fucking money...He's got a durrango with 22 inch spinners on it.

so thats why its so damn cheap... all it is is the turbo itself, not all the required hookup shit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.