So I'm doing 195 - 200 kph and bang! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:54 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
harryinsaudi is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
So I'm doing 195 - 200 kph and bang!

The fan assembly made a good attempt at coming through the bonnet.... (big dent visible in the middle of it all of a sudden)... water temp doesn't move, low water light doesn't come on, power steering still ok, a\c still working.... Hmnnn

So keeping an eye on all those things and being 200km from home in the middle of a desert during the Hadj pilgramage... with the wife in the car and with possibly some very unfriendly locals about i slow down to 120 and keep going to the service area 10 km away.....

No indications from within the car of anything further amiss, after 5 km i'm starting to feel confident the beast will get me back safe.....Wait a moment is that sand being kicked up or blue smoke?........ it might be smoke?.... b@@@er it's definitely smoke! So i stop....

There's nothing left of the header tank, the fan is completely gone there's no water and there's oil leaking into a puddle under the car from what i thought was the main oil seal. Ho Hum.

$500 LATER .... NEW RAD, NEW HEADER TANK, NEW FAN CLUTCH ASSY,NEW FAN, NEW MAIN OIL SEAL,NEW RAD SURROUND.

problem is it still leaks oil. runs great, doesn't overheat, still pulls 230+

Intake oil seals i'm thinking...you can see oil around the base of the intake manifold in the middle of the engine.... ? don't think it's the rocker box covers ....any ideas? Can't think of anywhere else it can leak oil from the front of the engine.

Last edited by harryinsaudi; 12-08-2009 at 04:57 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 06:37 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
PCV valve at the rear of the engine, when this goes oil is sent down the intake from the rear of the engine and can also end up in the airbox, your fan going like that is a know problem on e39's and E38's normally its the waterpump shaft ot the viscous clutch.

Its #2 here, but it all comes as one unit now so you dont need all the bits but you will require the gasket.From BMW dont buy a copy.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...37&hg=11&fg=40

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Marti, yep the viscous clutch seized....which blew the whole fan apart. So if there's oil coming out of the air intake chamber it's because: A. the pcv is toast and B: the gasket has failed? My BMW garage tells me it's the no 15 seals in your diagram that have failed.. Are there any other symptoms for duff pcv? Car idles smooth at 600 rpm. I'll change the thing anyway, and the o ring for the water pump pipe at the back of the engine whilst i'm at it.

Note for others...... when your header tank blows don't expect ANY indications from the on board computer system! I was lucky to be looking out for the engine smoke otherwise first indication would probably have been an oil pressure light..... and the subsequent $5000 dollar bill! I'm going to fit an extra water and oil temp gauge .......
#4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:12 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Best of luck!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:07 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Wow. Good luck!

#6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Not such a lucky escape after all...

Well the PCV was easy and car seemed fine..... until i wonder about the pressure in the rad pipes being excessive. so i pull a few spark plugs with the engine hot and the water pressure up.... and number 2 cylinder drivers side from the front slowly fills with water........

SOOOOOO head gasket set... head skim and whilst i'm at it.....rear crank seal cx.

Anything ele i can do whilst the lump is out...
#7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:15 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
That's bad news, but I did wonder if you had cooked it as you kept driving, I wouldn't necessarily say you need a head skim, but you will find that out when its off, if your taking the engine out # 12 here is worth doing you don't have to remove the box and I'm presuming yours is an Auto box, this seal is known to go and you lose your box fluid:

RealOEM.com BMW E39 540i A5S440Z ATTACH.PARTS/ PACKINGS

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:00 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
yep ok i'll do that as well as a fluid change as it all got very hot obviously....
#9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Bentley workshop manual?

I've ordered on from Amazozn but no telling how long it's going to take to get here.....

Any chance of someone checking what BMW specific tools i need to start on the head gasket job / and or scanning a few pages to me so i can make a start ...

Harry
#10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:07 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
apologies

sorry to do this but i'm really hoping someone could get me started re a bently's head gasket change chapter... 5 days before i get my copy from amazon.... or if anyone's done one do i just dig in and start taking bits off... does the engine come out with the manifolds on?
#11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:38 AM
4th Gear Member

carguy13 is on a distinguished road
sorry, i don't know too much about the 5ers i have a 3...

#12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 01:32 PM
n00b

Swift E36 is on a distinguished road
^^ Same here. Bump for an answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)