BMW Werkz banner

snow tires or all season radials?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  97alpineM3 
#1 ·
I have an '04 545i with sport package. It comes equiped with mixed size wheels, 18x 8.0 front, 18 x 9.0 rear wheels, 245/40R-18 front, 275/35R-18 rear performance run-flat tires. The tires are summer rated only. My question is this. I live in Maryland where we can have hit or miss winters, when it snows we get it pretty bad, but you can't always count on a snowy winter. Do I swap out the equiped tires for all season radials of the same size, or do I puchase a set of four 18*8 wheels equiped with snow tires for the winter months (November - March)? I really like the look of the bigger rear wheels, but I like the look of the unwrecked BMW better.

#2 ·
Well... if you want to save some time.. and tires... and in the long run a lot of money... go a head.. and buy another set of wheels... and put snow tires on there... and if it happens to be a bad winter... just jack up your car one corner at a time in the garage... and switch them out. Thats what my family has always done. (dont buy the best wheels for winter wheels... it doesnt matter... they will look like crap any ways... after the snow and salt hit them). Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.