BMW Werkz banner

Smokysmell Coming From Vents In Car.

3K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  fdeee 
#1 ·
Hi. I have a 1997 528i with 100,000 miles on it. lately I have noticed a smoky burning smell coming through my vents inside the car when I use the heater. It does not come through when I am using the a/c. The other day while waiting in line at the bank I could even see a little smoke coming from the vents. It seems to go away as fast as it comes. Anybody have any idea what this could be? I also notice my Trans shifts hard when car is cold. Thanks.

#2 ·
fdeee :welcome :welcome to our forum

Sounds like oil leak? hitting exhaust manifold somewhere. Check for oil leaks. As to the tranny rough shifting when cold? To minimize it: when warming up I usually engage it in drive while holding breaks for several minutes to allow full circulation of fluid. It works; just make sure it has the proper amount of fluid. NOTE: NO dipstick!!

regards
billb

#3 ·
Originally posted by billB@Dec 5 2004, 01:31 PM
fdeee :welcome :welcome to our forum

Sounds like oil leak? hitting exhaust manifold somewhere. Check for oil leaks. As to the tranny rough shifting when cold? To minimize it: when warming up I usually engage it in drive while holding breaks for several minutes to allow full circulation of fluid. It works; just make sure it has the proper amount of fluid. NOTE: NO dipstick!!

regards
billb
[snapback]243875[/snapback]​
Thank You Bill.

#5 ·
Originally posted by ///M Dream@Dec 6 2004, 09:52 AM
i doubt its an oil leak, sounds like your heater core would need to be replaced.
check with a dealer, but i think thats what it is. what does it smell like?

good luck
[snapback]244366[/snapback]​
It smeels like some type of lubericant or oil. It doesn't smell like engine oil burning. I also get a faint smell of anti freeze when I first fire up the heater.Thanks for the help.

#11 ·
Originally posted by fdeee@Dec 5 2004, 04:23 PM
Hi. I have a 1997 528i with 100,000 miles on it. lately I have noticed a smoky burning smell coming through my vents inside the car when I use the heater. It does not come through when I am using the a/c. The other day while waiting in line at the bank I could even see a little smoke coming from the vents. It seems to go away as fast as it comes. Anybody have any idea what this could be? I also notice my Trans shifts hard when car is cold. Thanks.
[snapback]243810[/snapback]​
Burning smell is burning smell......Foggy winshield, oily winshield, fog through vents is NOT burning oil. The latter symptoms are related to heater core. Which one is it?

CHECK the post coolant smell.....posted by "numberthree"

#12 ·
Originally posted by billB+Dec 6 2004, 12:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billB @ Dec 6 2004, 12:47 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fdeee@Dec 5 2004, 04:23 PM
[snapback]243810[/snapback]​
Burning smell is burning smell......Foggy winshield, oily winshield, fog through vents is NOT burning oil. The latter symptoms are related to heater core. Which one is it?
[snapback]244459[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]Bill. I have to say it is smokey smell it is not anti freeze. That said I also have the slight smell of anti freeze when I turn on the heater but they are two diffirent smells.

#14 ·
Originally posted by billB@Dec 6 2004, 12:57 PM
Two things:
A. open the hood and take a look at everything and anything.....Smoke? smell?
B. Does your winshield gets GREASY,OILY foggy?
[snapback]244468[/snapback]​
Bill I had BMW check the engine for leaks and they found nothing. The Service Advisor said it could be the electric motor burning out but I don't think so. Its the damndest thing. Could it be power steering fluid or trans fluid burning?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.