BMW Werkz banner

Smoke Engine 3x BMW NA does nothing!

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  03&04Owner 
#1 ·
** WARNING: Please read for your own protection. **

I did a lot of research to decide on getting my 2004 BMW 525i. This is a purchase not a lease. There has been smoke coming from the engine and they have attempted to fix my car 3 times already. I have no confidence with my current engine and would like the car replaced since it's brand new. Less than 600 miles and the car is in for service. I've had the car for less than a month and have not been able to enjoy it at all. I've been faced with the biggest inconvenience ever. Not only am I paying the $750 a month and $8342 that I did for the down payment. I am paying the enterprise car rental insurance fee of $24.95 a day because they are out of BMW loaner vehicles. I'm stuck with two huge rental bills so far because of the number of days it's been in the shop.

This new car purchase has been making me pull out a lot of money out of my pockets. First month purchase and the car has been in service more than I've been driving it. It does not look good when you have a new car and SMOKE is coming out from underneath the hood and underneath the car. I don't even have my license plates yet. Everyone is saying what is wrong with that new BMW?

BMW of North America is doing nothing about it. My BMW National Customer Service representative lady has only told me how the airbag/seatbelt warning light functions. I already know how it functions. She also tried to schedule service appointments for me but NOTHING ELSE. The place where I purchased it from Valencia, BMW has done nothing except to take it back to where you serviced it from or call BMW NA. I am appalled at the way they are treating my problem.

1st Attempt: Replaced valve gasket cover.
2nd Attempt: Replaced valve gasket cover & Top cover?
3rd Attempt: Replaced main cylinder on engine.

I've had other minor problems.
a.) When I first drove my car off the lot on Nov. 15th, 2003 within 2 hours I had a airbag/seatbelt restraint fault. I-Drive says take to your local service dealer to repair.
b.) I started the car later that night everthing was in German and I had to read the english manual to navigate myself to change the text back to English.
c.) My CD player always jumps back to track 01 when you start the car.
d.) Xenon lights do not turn off automatically in the daytime. (Intermittent)

I caution everyone not only to test drive their car but to open the hood after the test drive and check for leaks. Ask what the dealer or what BMW NA can possibly do for you if something like this happens to you with in a matter of a week of ownership before purchasing or leasing your vehicle. They have done nothing for me yet. If they ever do anything for me I will let you all know.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yikes! :wrench How long has the new 5 been out? I've read so many disappointing posts, I don't think I've ever read so many issues with a new model (even on its 1st year debut). I hope this is only a handful of the cars and not something that's going to be consistent. How terrible, I hope things turn out better (I don't think it'll get any worse).

#4 ·
I would begin to look into making a lemon law claim on this vehicle. I assume that you are in California, so the information should be readily available. Just mention that you are looking into making a claim to the saleman who sold you the car on the showroom floor LOUDLY and see if they don't become more cooperative. The biggest complaint that I have heard on the new 5 is the way it handles in a crosswind. I hope you get this resolved soon.
Ben

#5 ·
That totally sucks man!!! I would depend them to replace it but I guess I just like making a stink of things. My old 525i did the same thing but it was easily fixacle(the smoke from under the hood). It was just a leeky hose dripping onto the engine block but I dont think its that simple. Good luck man, I sure hope it works out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.