BMW Werkz banner

Smg For New 525i

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  cassidym 
#1 ·
I'd appreciate your honest opinion or experience with the SMG gearbox on any version of the new 5-series but specifically the 525i. I have just ordered a new 525i w/SMG and am having second thoughts. Specifically - it is worth the extra cost over std manual transmission; is the driving experience enhanced or spoiled?

Please let me have youe honest thoughts!

#2 ·
I have a 2005 545 six-speed. Like you, I thought a lot about whether SMG was for me and, in the end, opted to stick with an MT.

I test drove a 530 with SMG for about an hour and I thought it was definitly better driving than Triptronic. In fact, I think the BMW engineers have done a fair job of mimicing an MT. For example, when you put it in first gear it doesn't start to creep forward like an automatic would because the designers assumed you operate it like you would an MT, i.e., you wouldn't let up on the clutch until you gave it some gas. Thus, the SMG doesn't move in first gear till you step on the gas. Another feature I noticed with the SMG was the little bump between first and second you get just like you do with an MT.

But, as good a job as the engineers did, it still didn't handle and feel like a true six-speed. So I concluded that, if I couldn't get an MT for some reason (for example, were I sharing the car with someone who couldn't drive an MT), SMG would be a pretty good compromise. But, I didn't need to compromise and, since I have always owned manuals, I decided to stick with MT. And, I'm glad I did. I commute 50 miles a day, round trip and much of that is in stop and go traffic on the freeway and I still don't mind shifting the MT and don't find myself wishing I'd opted for the SMG.

So, based on my own experience, my advice is to analyze your own driving. Have you always driven an MT? Do you often find yourself in traffic wishing you had an automatic so you didn't have to clutch and shift constantly, then SMG is for you. If, OTOH, you're a purist like me, strick with the six-speed.

Incidentally, I am VERY VERY pleased with my 545 which is my first 5-series. I knew I was getting a good car but had no idea it would be THIS good. So, I don't think you'll be disappointed with whatever decision you make. You are getting one fine automobile. Had mine come with SMG, I think I'd still be pretty damn pleased.

BTW, what other options did you order?

Good luck

Originally posted by Optima99@Jan 3 2005, 03:38 AM
I'd appreciate your honest opinion or experience with the SMG gearbox on any version of the new 5-series but specifically the 525i. I have just ordered a new 525i w/SMG and am having second thoughts. Specifically - it is worth the extra cost over std manual transmission; is the driving experience enhanced or spoiled?

Please let me have youe honest thoughts!
[snapback]263111[/snapback]​

#3 ·
Thank-you for the detailed reply. On the basis of the points you raise (and as I suspected) I will most likely cancel the SMG option and direct the money elsewhere.

I live in Ireland where car prices are horrific due to very high taxes & excise. I have ordered a 525i Sport (M-pack). In addition to the sport-pack features I opted to replace the Sport interior with full leather and dark-poplar wood. Also added CD changer, boot/trunk lip-spoiler, rear-seat airbags, SMG (which I will most likely cancel). Colour - Oxford Green II. Not a huge spec but it will meet my needs nicely and falls into my price range. Total price? €72,450 or coverted to US$ assuming a modest exchange rate of €1:$1.35, $97,800. Horrific, I know.

Thanks again for your comments & time.

#4 ·
Wow, that is a huge price. I paid around $54K for a 545 with NAV, SP, SAT Radio and CWP. I did the European Delivery and negotiated the price before the Euro took off

From what I recall from my few trips to Ireland back in the 70's, you might want to consider the Cold Weather Package. The heated seats and steering wheel are lovely.

Originally posted by Optima99@Jan 3 2005, 05:25 PM
Thank-you for the detailed reply. On the basis of the points you raise (and as I suspected) I will most likely cancel the SMG option and direct the money elsewhere.

I live in Ireland where car prices are horrific due to very high taxes & excise. I have ordered a 525i Sport (M-pack). In addition to the sport-pack features I opted to replace the Sport interior with full leather and dark-poplar wood. Also added CD changer, boot/trunk lip-spoiler, rear-seat airbags, SMG (which I will most likely cancel). Colour - Oxford Green II. Not a huge spec but it will meet my needs nicely and falls into my price range. Total price? €72,450 or coverted to US$ assuming a modest exchange rate of €1:$1.35, $97,800. Horrific, I know.

Thanks again for your comments & time.
[snapback]263434[/snapback]​

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.