Slapping noise when on rough surface - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
(Thread Starter)
Slapping noise when on rough surface

I noticed this last night with the windows up, I turned right and heard a strange noise, rolled down the windows and didn't hear it again except on some man holes and other rough road. Today I drove on the rough surface of the old airstrip in town and rolled down the windows and heard what distinctly sounded like metal hitting metal, like spoons slapping kind of. Don't know what this is or if it is anything, I don't really mess with suspension and I assume that is what it is if it is anything. Thanks for the help guys, I remember back in the day at UB and when I came over here I never really asked a question, now I ask one every week just about haha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
It's more than likely your sway bar end links. Believe me when I say you will be replacing plenty of them when you own an E39.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Haha, well they have held up for over a year now. But oh well, I guess next time I go in I will get them to check it out.

#4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm beginning to think it has the be the end links, I didn't put this together at the time but when breaking, right before the car stops (well the wheels stop but the body moves forward a little bit and then comes to a rest) it makes a creaking sound, this one can be heard with the windows up though, and it makes that same noise when turning the wheel at low speeds. This sound like it is the end links for sure?

#5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Yeah, it still sounds like an end link issue to me. Is there any particular part of the vehicle you hear the sounds though? Front/rear? Left/right?
#6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
When on rough surfaces the front and rear drivers side, during the braking just the front drivers side....but i assume if there is anything on the passengers side i cant hear it because of the distance from it and the fact that what little I might be able to hear I can't distinguish because the sound from the drivers side is over powering it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)