Should I use gasket sealer? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DonJ is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Should I use gasket sealer?

Hello,
I'm replacing the oil filter housing on my 535i (M30).
I have a new gasket but I was wondering if I should also use some sort of a gasket sealer along with the gasket.

Is there any harm in doing so?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 04:33 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
no need to my friend...the gasket will seal it just fine.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
If the gasket and both surfaces are nice and clean, you shouldn't have to use anything aside from the new gasket.

Just make sure it's tightened properly to spec and you should be good to go.

#4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 05:35 PM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
We used to apply a little bit of clean oil to both faces of the gasket, but not really sure how this affected the sealing process. I always assumed it was to reduce the amount of grip that the gasket had on the face of the filter, so it wouldn't sping back against the twisting of filter being wound on.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski View Post
We used to apply a little bit of clean oil to both faces of the gasket, but not really sure how this affected the sealing process. I always assumed it was to reduce the amount of grip that the gasket had on the face of the filter, so it wouldn't sping back against the twisting of filter being wound on.

Yes, but he's talking about replacing the oil filter canister; the m30 uses a paper drop in filter like your e38.

#6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone for the replies - I sure appreciate the quick and friendly answers!
#7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post

Yes, but he's talking about replacing the oil filter canister; the m30 uses a paper drop in filter like your e38.
My bad. I haven't replaced a BMW filter, just the older style metal can filters on a GM engine and farming equipment. Sorry to throw a curve ball into the mix.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
no problem brettski - thanks anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)