Service Rip Off? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2007 530d
Photos:
rolfiszmail is on a distinguished road
Service Rip Off?

Just had a 82000km service on my E60 530d. Oil change,filter and washer additive only done. Everything else was checked and fine. Cost.....aud$415!!!!
Looked closely at the invoice and the charge for the Helix Ultra Extra oil alone was $180 for the 7.2 litres. This oil can be bought anywhere for $70/5 litres. I think next time I will buy my own oil and give it to the mechanic.
rolfiszmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
That is a rip off. Was this at a dealership or indipendant mechanic? At that point I would start doing my own oil changes. I do my own and I pay $100 CAN. $85 for 7L of Mobil 1 0w-40 and $15 for a filter from the dealership.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
z06bigbird is on a distinguished road
Likely charges are $135 per hour at many BMW, Mercedes dealers, etc. Dealers charge Corvette owners a special "Corvette tax" for parts and labor.

OR

do it yourself without putting the jack thru the floor or the underbody panels. Rear end on newer models is alum. Floor jacks and alum rears do not mix well. But then another rear can be bought for just a few grand plus labor and incidentals.

or

Jiffy Lube type. Please ask mgr there if they will cover little mistakes like the tech failing the tighten the oil plug? Those plugs have been known to fall out if not properly tightened. If that shop agrees it was their fault, they will pay the first few thou out of their pocket. Then the ins kicks in--if they have not cancelled the ins. Also, they might claim that you should have noticed the RED oil light on the panel and immediately stopped driving. If you admit that you continued to drive with the RED light on, you just might be cooked. If they do replace the engine, they will try to locate the cheapest engine they can find. You don't mind them saving a few $$, do you?

Your choice?

Boy, I am in rare form today.
z06bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2004 545i
Photos:
bimmerfan52 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06bigbird View Post
Likely charges are $135 per hour at many BMW, Mercedes dealers, etc. Dealers charge Corvette owners a special "Corvette tax" for parts and labor.

OR

do it yourself without putting the jack thru the floor or the underbody panels. Rear end on newer models is alum. Floor jacks and alum rears do not mix well. But then another rear can be bought for just a few grand plus labor and incidentals.

or

Jiffy Lube type. Please ask mgr there if they will cover little mistakes like the tech failing the tighten the oil plug? Those plugs have been known to fall out if not properly tightened. If that shop agrees it was their fault, they will pay the first few thou out of their pocket. Then the ins kicks in--if they have not cancelled the ins. Also, they might claim that you should have noticed the RED oil light on the panel and immediately stopped driving. If you admit that you continued to drive with the RED light on, you just might be cooked. If they do replace the engine, they will try to locate the cheapest engine they can find. You don't mind them saving a few $$, do you?

Your choice?

Boy, I am in rare form today.
After your warning one would think that driving up onto ramps or jacking up a car and placing jack stands is rocket science. There is a good jack point on the front end frame cross member that makes it easy to raise the front end if you have a low-profile floor jack or use a plank or two to pick up a few inches of clearance.

Don't know why you mention raising the rear with the subject being changing engine oil and I don't understand your reference to "aluminum rear end". Are you referring to suspension parts? Using the differential to lift the rear is safe as long as the weight is spread evenly across the differential cover (2X4 works well) so there is no danger of breaking cooling fins off the cover. The differential is solidly connected to the frame through a several points cushioned by bushings. While lifting the rear using the differential does put pressure on these bushings, a short time on the jack while you position jack stands won't damage the bushings, and in no way stresses the rear suspension.

Yes, I too am afraid of turning my BMW engine over to some pimply-faced kid at a quick lube place which is why I do my own oil changes. I buy Mobil 1 0W-40 for $7 per quart and a Hengst (OE) filter for $10. I usually pull the front belly pan off (even though it is not necessary to get at the sump drain plug or filter housing) so I can go over the bottom of the engine looking for leaks or other problems and listen closely underneath the car when I restart it.

I make it a practice to check oil, water and power steering fluid levels once per week and then start the cold engine and listen in the engine bay for a few minutes for any changes in the sounds of the engine. Only by listening regularly can you tell when the sound of the engine changes.

I feel sorry for those who have zero mechanical aptitude and have to go to a shop for an oil change. For those who have the time and at least a little mechanical skill I advise changing your own oil to stay in touch with the mechanical condition of your car.
bimmerfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 6501
Photos:
650iconv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by z06bigbird View Post

do it yourself without putting the jack thru th.
On my boat (2 454's) I saw they used a pump to suck the oil out from the dipstick.
I bought one on line for $20 (search 12v oil pump)
Get the oil nice and hot
Hook up the cables to the bat and in 3 minutes all oil is out and in a jug.

I love it
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
z06bigbird is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650iconv View Post
On my boat (2 454's) I saw they used a pump to suck the oil out from the dipstick.
I bought one on line for $20 (search 12v oil pump)
Get the oil nice and hot
Hook up the cables to the bat and in 3 minutes all oil is out and in a jug.

I love it
I like jugs.
z06bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)