Service Indicator Reset? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2006, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Fangs will become famous soon enoughFangs will become famous soon enough
Service Indicator Reset?

I recently had an oil change done on my E39, and they forgot to reset the service indicator. I am 1.5 hours from the nearest dealer.

Is there any way to reset this yourself, or (as I suspect) does it require a special tool?

Argh:
Fangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2006, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
///Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to disclaim any liability for the instructions as I know of people who have messed this up and gotten into a sh*t load of trouble with their electronics. I have done this myself and was successful, but can't guarantee it... That being said http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/ele...ce_lights.html

I just used a piece of wire, unlike what this site has you use...

"With the ignition switch at (position two) and the engine not running, grounding pin seven (7) of the diagnostic connector for approximately three (3) seconds will reset the oil service lights. Grounding pin seven (7) for approximately twelve (12) seconds will do an inspection service reset."

Last edited by ///Matt; 01-29-2006 at 11:00 PM.
///Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt
I have to disclaim any liability for the instructions as I know of people who have messed this up and gotten into a sh*t load of trouble with their electronics. I have done this myself and was successful, but can't guarantee it... That being said http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/ele...ce_lights.html

I just used a piece of wire, unlike what this site has you use...

"With the ignition switch at (position two) and the engine not running, grounding pin seven (7) of the diagnostic connector for approximately three (3) seconds will reset the oil service lights. Grounding pin seven (7) for approximately twelve (12) seconds will do an inspection service reset."
worked on my e34, with a piece of wire.

unless you ground the wrong pin, there is absolutely nothing you can do wrong ... it might not reset on your first try if you don't time it right, but thats about it.

still, do at your own risk. we cant be responsible.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
zoomzoom is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know where you live, but if the car was serviced under BMW warranty, (oil service) have the dealer drive the 1.5 hour to your house and reset the indicator. If they resist, take it up with BMW customer service. They are normally quick to (re)act. Good luck. ZZ
zoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jeppcharts is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jeppcharts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
worked on my e34, with a piece of wire.

unless you ground the wrong pin, there is absolutely nothing you can do wrong ... it might not reset on your first try if you don't time it right, but thats about it.

still, do at your own risk. we cant be responsible.
I've done this twice with my E39, most recently last week, without any problem. My only suggestion: If you leave the wire in more than about 5 seconds it will reset the inspection counter as well as the oil service timer. Get a friend (or your wife : ) to pull the wire out in time. Otherwise it's a sprint from the cockpit back to the engine to grab it in time.
jeppcharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ozarkmark is an unknown quantity at this point
I was too chicken to try the wire grounding thingy - so I bought the Bavauto tool that resets lights and checks/clears code/ inspection what have you...
ozarkmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Fangs will become famous soon enoughFangs will become famous soon enough
Wow, thanks guys. All liability absolved...
Fangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom
I don't know where you live, but if the car was serviced under BMW warranty, (oil service) have the dealer drive the 1.5 hour to your house and reset the indicator. If they resist, take it up with BMW customer service. They are normally quick to (re)act. Good luck. ZZ
I don't know how it is on e39, but on e34, you put ignition in pos2, ground it, then you can just turn key back to off when the time u want is there ... i think ...

i dont worry about it, since my car is bound to never see a dealership, i just reset the inspection and everything else every time.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bimmerboy328i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bimmerboy328i
Hold down the odometer button and turn the key into position 1. You should see test 1 that comes up on the cluster. Wait until reset comes up, let go and then hold until it starts flashing. Once flashing, let go and push again. Done.
- 97 M52 Beast - Vortech V-1 Supercharger Setup - Dinan Software - 28.8lb Injectors - 9psi - ZKW's - OEM Clears - DoubleSpoke II's - OEM M3 Spoiler - OEM M3 Front Bumper - 20% Tint - CCFL Angel Eyes - 6K Xtec HIDs in ZKWs - 6k H1 based D2S HID's in Foglights - Bilstein Sport Shocks - Eibach Sportline Springs - Cosmos Racing CAI - M50 Manifold Swap - UUC Motorwerks SystemU Exhaust - Fan Delete - 3.15 LSD -
bimmerboy328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)