serious problems with E34 540, please help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
antose9 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
NWS serious problems with E34 540, please help

Hi guys,
I have some serious problems with my 1993 540/.. anyone with good ideas or some advice is welcome...
First, the car stalls when you stump on a brake pedal at red light. rpm`s drop down to 300 an lower, and it just shuts down. No problems if you brake slowly, "pulsing", but if I come to stop sign, driving at about 40 mph, press the brake pedal, pull the car to complete stop, it idles, and then dies. I would start it again, and it runs like nothing happened. Maybe idle control valve?? please some ideas???
Problem #2
When making right turn, at some point (about 30 mph or faster) steering wheel feels like it`s "frozen". i.e. it`s rock hard, and it`s almoust impossible to turn steering wheel. Funny thing, it never happens when I turn left, only while making right turn.. power steerin pump maybe?? please help me folks, `cause I don`t know what to think about my baby.. Many thanks
Antanas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:01 AM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
If your car is vacuum boosted, maybe there is a leak in your brake booster somewhere. Could also be ICV, but it's hard to say...

As for the steering issue - I have the same problem. Just developed about a week ago. I was swerving back and forth tightly when I realized I was headed for the curb. Problem was that I couldn't steer away from it. two hands on the wheel with a real firm grip slowly got the wheel back on-center. It was then easy to swerve left, but one more attempt to go right yielded the same results.

I wanted to say more along the lines of balljoints, something caught, etc, but that just doesnt make sense, because low-speed steering is still done with ease.

My guess would either be the steering box itself or the PS pump. I THOUGHT that the PS pump just pressurized the box, so in that case, I don't see why it would "seize up" in only one direction. I'm doing some research and making this car safe to drive again, so I'll let you know when I figure it out. Good luck and be safe - maybe even drive a different car until you have it sorted out.

#3 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 05:25 AM
n00b

infieldg is on a distinguished road
Hi, how did you guys solve your steering problem? My '99 540i just did the exact same thing, in the same direction - hard turning right, fully assisted left.

I figured maybe there's a follow-on valve that's clogged but we ALL have problems turning RIGHT? And I'm in New Zealand, so mine's RHD.

HALP!!!

Cheers,
Geoff.
Wellington, NZ.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Could be a number of things...even down to a loose belt, best thing to do is get it on a lift with the front wheels up and car running and check out all the steering components, could be a ball joint, could be sticky value in the PS pump, could be could be.....lift is your best option to check it out.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 07:02 PM
n00b

infieldg is on a distinguished road
Hey it fixed itself! I kinda hoped it might, I remember that my old Ford steering box (also the non rack/pinion type like a 540) worked by initially twisting a hollow tube with a couple of pinholes in it when you turned the wheel, before it physically turned the box and I can feel that twisting sponginess when I steer it with the engine off, so it's probably the same.

It's a really cool idea, as long as the tube was twisted one of two holes was exposed allowing high pressure oil to flow to the that side only, and assist your efforts which in turn reduced the effort you put into steering which reduced the twist in the tube which progressively closed off the lil hole til no assistance was needed or provided - think it was called a follow-on valve? Very sweet and simple idea but easily foiled by a knob of goatsh1t getting stuck in one of the holes I suppose - it's all I can think of that would affect assistance in one direction only, the pump has no idea which way you're turning.

I guess a flush is in order! Man why is it every time you tell someone you have a problem with a beemer they jump on it like it's a victory - the cause of this problem is more likely to be a lack of maintenance, and cr4p falling into the reservoir while checking the level or something, not gonna blame bmw just yet!

Thanks heaps for replying!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)