Securing an E39's ski hatch - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 03:23 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
beagle_530D is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Securing an E39's ski hatch

I've just got an 02 E39 530d to replace my 528 which was unfortunately written off earlier this year and have a query about the ski hatch with the through load system. It doesn't look like there is anything to stop someone with a thieving disposition who gains access inside the car from being able to reach into the boot through the ski hatch. I've thought that perhaps I can somehow stop the ski hatch flap from pinging down inside the boot, but wondered if anybody has had the same thought and solved it more elegantly?!

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated!
beagle_530D is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 08:47 PM
4th Gear Member
 
Eric S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
I'm frankly not seeing much of a risk. I mean, someone's got to be "Elastic Man" to fit through the ski hole, right? You could reach in there with your arm, I guess. Can you provide a little more detail about the scenario you want to prevent?

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Eric S. is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 10:00 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!
 
lwebb12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wheatland, CA
Posts: 4,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle_530D
I've just got an 02 E39 530d to replace my 528 which was unfortunately written off earlier this year and have a query about the ski hatch with the through load system. It doesn't look like there is anything to stop someone with a thieving disposition who gains access inside the car from being able to reach into the boot through the ski hatch. I've thought that perhaps I can somehow stop the ski hatch flap from pinging down inside the boot, but wondered if anybody has had the same thought and solved it more elegantly?!

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated!
If they gain access to the car they could just pop the trunk lid anyway.

Member 150+ MPH club
Member of the 3-Pedal club
Memebr BMW FORUMS V1 CLUB
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
lwebb12 is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 06:25 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
beagle_530D is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S.
I'm frankly not seeing much of a risk. I mean, someone's got to be "Elastic Man" to fit through the ski hole, right? You could reach in there with your arm, I guess. Can you provide a little more detail about the scenario you want to prevent?
Hi Eric, it is literally just that - concerned about someone reaching in. I often leave a laptop in the boot overnight and it would be the info on the laptop which would be the main problem, although the insurance claim wouldn't be great either.

I know its pushing it, but I'm sure I'm not the only paranoid owner of a ski hatch! :
beagle_530D is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 06:27 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
beagle_530D is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwebb12
If they gain access to the car they could just pop the trunk lid anyway.
I assume you mean with the boot release button? Not if you have isolated the boot from the central locking by turning the key in the boot lock.........
beagle_530D is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 06:37 PM
5th Gear Member
 
325isBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
You know it's been my experience that when a car is broken into, it's going to be cleared out (all that they can see and scoop easily) are they going to take the extra time and squeeze thru the ski hatch? Doubtful, take more time means more time for someone to see you. I think you may be being a bit overdramatic...besides not all BMW's have a ski hatch so is a thief going to check every time?

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
325isBaby is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 06:48 PM
4th Gear Member
 
Eric S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle_530D
Hi Eric, it is literally just that - concerned about someone reaching in. I often leave a laptop in the boot overnight and it would be the info on the laptop which would be the main problem, although the insurance claim wouldn't be great either.

I know its pushing it, but I'm sure I'm not the only paranoid owner of a ski hatch! :
Beagle - Sounds like you have a legit concern, but not many people share it. Of course, the best practice would be to not leave your laptop in the boot overnight. But I'm sure you are all too well aware of that one.

The only other suggestion would be to somehow secure the ski hatch from the trunk side with some kind of lock bar, but I know of no turn-key solutions out there, and it would be a pain to fabricate something like that. Good luck fabricating - maybe it's something you could create and market?

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Eric S. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome