Safer 5 Series Brake Lights:breaking - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2004, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
When watching an air show what is amazing is not the speed by which these pilots take on but rather the SIGNALING among them. It seems as if every one of them knows exactly and anticipate/calculate the other pilot's next move.

I really think it would be a great idea if BMW employs such signaling technique on the brake lights at least to distinguish between a driver slowing down (a police car on the shoulder) and another slamming the brakes to avoid a rim sitting in the middle lane and hence pile ups. Take into account the following:
A. The third brake light has been doing a great job in preventing pileups since 1986.
B. Any future Mod must take into account the aesthetic aspect-looking good type of a deal.
C. It was a "concept" at Bmw since they use LED lights and it can be altered to produce brighter lights with different breaking patterns.
D. Most of rear-endings result because we are not looking in the right direction. And yah donít push it now because I am not going to suggest involving an extra human sense in this mod of breaking process. That is sounds and/or smell!!!
E. If you fail in this mod; can you give me the existing emergency hazard light to engage in a panic when breaking so hard? Or is this rewiring too much to ask? After all the cops turn their unmarked cruisers into Christmas trees before they chase you!!!

The whole mod is this: give me a sudden/brighter/different break lights while the guy behind me talking on the cell phone and sipping coffee to let him know I just slammed on the breaks (not slowing down) to avoid a rim and/or a deer.

Your thought?

Regards
billb
billB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2004, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
kscarrol is an unknown quantity at this point
The 2004 and 2005 5-series already has a version (agreed limited) of this. Under normal braking conditions, the third LED light, along with the two regular brake lights shine. Under emergency braking conditions, these plus the regular tail lights light up, "indicating" an emergency stop. The assumption is that the extra brightness of all the rear lights shining will catch your attention and warn you of the emergency stop.
kscarrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Kscarrol

First: I wish to welcome you to the forum and hope you will enjoy your stay with us.
second: Many thanks to the rather NEW updated information on the new BMW breaking system.

regards
billb
Old 11-05-2004, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
kscarrol is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Nov 5 2004, 08:42 PM
Kscarrol

First: I wish to welcome you to the forum and hope you will enjoy your stay with us.
second: Many thanks to the rather NEW updated information on the new BMW breaking system.

regards
billb
[snapback]225433[/snapback]
Gee, thanks for the NEW warm welcome, I think.
kscarrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 07:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
prozac is an unknown quantity at this point
I've thought about this before. I thought about the third high level brake light....... it's a row of leds...... what about if you just touched the brakes you get a shorter row, say just 6 leds in the middle..... the harder you press the brakes, the wider the row .... and if you jump on the brakes you could have a full width row with some super bright leds at the ends of the row.

Just a thought.

Prozac
prozac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Prozac

This will be an excellent way of signaling; in fact you may want to condiser starting the short row from the right side instead of the middle and then intensify it towards the left for left side driver seats. and make it the opposite (left to right) in case I see the ol...... BEELZIBUB of England chasing my rear view mirror! LOL

regards
billb
Old 04-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
mehumming is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mehumming Send a message via Yahoo to mehumming
Lightbulb brighter faster more e

LEDs illuminate faster then standard filament globes giving the tailing driver earlier warning...:
mehumming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2005 330xi
Photos:
325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
All new BMWs have what is called Adaptive Brake Lights, under normal braking conditions only your normal 3 brake lights illuminate upon an ABS activated stop another row of lights illuminated to warn the drivers behind you that you are slowing down at a rapid rate...in any case it is really cool to see, and would probably work better if more people were aware of it.

Take this X5 for example, the first pic is normal braking, the second pic is hard braking, the third pic is ABS has engaged full time and she is stopping NOW...notice the lighting change? I hope this is useful.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Jamison is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jamison
mercedes has a version of this led technology however instead of extra lights illuminating under emergency brkaing conditions, the leds "pulsate" or blink causing drivers behind to take notice quicker. im not sure if this is in production yet but it sounds like the best attempt so far. flashing light always does a better job of catching your attention.

'98 528i
black
auto tranny
112k miles

mods coming...
Jamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
^^ yeah that.
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)