BMW Werkz banner

Remote start for my 1997 528i

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Baashar 
#1 ·
I am thinking about installing a remote starter on the BMW.

Is there any problem with installing a remote start on BMW vechicle?
since some vechicle I know it drain the battery.

Let me know if you have recommendation or tips on remote starter

thanks

M Dinh

#2 ·
had mine for over 4 years without a hitch. www.astroflex.com. i have the astrostart 3106 remote start/security/keyless entry and havent used my factory remote since day one.

#4 ·
On a e39 you are going to have troubles with the EWS (driveaway protection system) On cars with EWS there is a transponder chip in the key which the vehicle's systems need to see in order for the car to start. So basically the only way to do a remote start is to add a second key under the dash along with a second ring aerial. This will work but keep in mind that it totally bypasses the vehicles security system which is 1 of the best systems on the market.

DT

#5 ·
BillB: If I remember correctly, it retailed around 400 installed, but as DT said the transponder module will add around 75-100 installed. Plus the loss of a key.

DT: The newer DEI modules for the key have a setup on them so it only becomes active whenever it receives a "start" signal from the remote start so the factory security stuff still remains in tact. You still lose a key though. If he doesnt have one, it could make the install a little more pricey.

#6 ·
thanks for the info DA BULL. Can you link me to some details on these newer systems. thanks.

BTW I have remote start in my e32 and i love it! Nothing like coming outside in the winter time to a nice warm heated car with the windows already defrosted and the seat heaters nice and toasty!

#7 ·
Dirty_Tool said:
thanks for the info DA BULL. Can you link me to some details on these newer systems. thanks.

BTW I have remote start in my e32 and i love it! Nothing like coming outside in the winter time to a nice warm heated car with the windows already defrosted and the seat heaters nice and toasty!
DT
Long time no see!!
Winter time on the west coast? Try NJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.