Which Relay Is The Wiper Relay? Tan One? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 08:30 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

OK, my wipers are stopping about 1" higher on the windshield than they should be. The local BMW tech said to look under the passenger side cabin filter air box and replace the wiper relay there. He said it would be the tall one. And I think he said it would be white.

Well, I found the relays, and there was one tall one, but it was tan. The P/N is 613-68384-505. Is this the wiper relay? If not does anyone know the P/N or at least color of the correct one (1999 540)?

DT?

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 09:09 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
in the e-box there should be 3 relays right up top in the front, the wiper relay is the tallest of the 3. Double check the wire colors going into the relay to be sure you have the correct 1. The colors should be.... brown/white brown/blue red/white black/brown black/green and 1 thats just solid brown.
Hope that helps.

DT

DT

#3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 01:04 AM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
That happened once to my wipers, and my mechanic adjusted the part where the wiper arm connects to the motor, which is at the base of the windshield under the hood. Fixed that and it has never happen again since.

#4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 07:59 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool@Apr 22 2005, 10:09 PM
in the e-box there should be 3 relays right up top in the front, the wiper relay is the tallest of the 3. Double check the wire colors going into the relay to be sure you have the correct 1. The colors should be.... brown/white brown/blue red/white black/brown black/green and 1 thats just solid brown.
Hope that helps.

DT
[snapback]336655[/snapback]
Thanks guys. I solved it. The relay I described is indeed the wiper relay. I confirmed it by simply removing it and trying to operate the wipers and they wouldn't move.

Bought a new relay at the local BMW dealer, under $15. Plugged it in. All is now well because my wipers now fully retract once again as they should!

Also - completed changing out my leaky power steering hoses today. It was a fairly straightforward job. Bentley manual left me out in the cold regarding torque of bolt on the block the connects hoses to radiator. Using sizing chart (it's an M8) I figured it to be about 10-12ft-lb. and torqued accordingly. if it leaks I can always tighten it more later. Ahhhhhhh.......

#5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 08:33 AM
n00b

Wade6923 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric S.+Apr 23 2005, 07:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eric S. @ Apr 23 2005, 07:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dirty_Tool@Apr 22 2005, 10:09 PM
in the e-box there should be 3 relays right up top in the front, the wiper relay is the tallest of the 3. Double check the wire colors going into the relay to be sure you have the correct 1. The colors should be....* * brown/white* * brown/blue* * red/white black/brown* black/green* and 1 thats just solid brown.
Hope that helps.

DT
Thanks guys. I solved it. The relay I described is indeed the wiper relay. I confirmed it by simply removing it and trying to operate the wipers and they wouldn't move.

Bought a new relay at the local BMW dealer, under $15. Plugged it in. All is now well because my wipers now fully retract once again as they should!

Also - completed changing out my leaky power steering hoses today. It was a fairly straightforward job. Bentley manual left me out in the cold regarding torque of bolt on the block the connects hoses to radiator. Using sizing chart (it's an M8) I figured it to be about 10-12ft-lb. and torqued accordingly. if it leaks I can always tighten it more later. Ahhhhhhh.......
[snapback]336979[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Can you tell me if your wipers ever stopped in the up position? And where is the E Box? I was told the wipers are controlled by two relays ? does this sound correct to you?
#6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 09:20 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Wade6923+Apr 24 2005, 09:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wade6923 @ Apr 24 2005, 09:33 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric S.@Apr 23 2005, 07:59 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Dirty_Tool
Quote:
@Apr 22 2005, 10:09 PM
in the e-box there should be 3 relays right up top in the front, the wiper relay is the tallest of the 3. Double check the wire colors going into the relay to be sure you have the correct 1. The colors should be....* * brown/white* ** brown/blue* ** red/white black/brown** black/green** and 1 thats just solid brown.
Hope that helps.

DT

[snapback]336979[/snapback]
Can you tell me if your wipers ever stopped in the up position? And where is the E Box? I was told the wipers are controlled by two relays ? does this sound correct to you?
[snapback]337096[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Mine have never stopped in the up position, they just sometimes would pop back up an inch or two before stopping when I turned them off. The relay swap fixed this.

I'll defer to DT to answer he other questions, which, BTW, were very recently asked on this forum (I think).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)