Received my 545i today! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2004, 01:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
ksz
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ksz is an unknown quantity at this point
I received the long-awaited call from my dealer today saying my built-to-order BMW had just been unloaded onto their parking lot. I was expecting to receive the car in early May, so imagine my surprise!

The car drives very well and has one heck of a powerplant. Push the pedal a little hard to see what the thing can do and the power rushes forth. The stick shift, as with all stick shifts, requires you to find the smooth-shift areas (releasing the clutch at the right RPM). Throws are short, but could be a little bit shorter.

Silver4evr:

As promised I will tell you a bit about the head-up display. First though, with the nav option, the iDrive screen is full-width (maybe 3 inches wider than the screen on your car) and has two segments. The left segment is two-thirds of the width while the right segment is a smaller one-third width. Different information can be displayed in the two segments simultaneously. For example, you can display the navigation route map on the left and estimated arrival time and other stats on the right. Or you can display a route map on the right and play with the entertainment, climate, and other settings on the left.

The head-up display works remarkably well. Focus is quite good and I have so far counted three colors -- this is the world's first multi-color head-up display. The display is a dot-matrix device rather than a "segment" type device like the old digital watches. Hence, the head-up system can project any graphics image by addressing individual pixels.

Speed, navigation, warnings, and errors are projected, complete with icons.

Finally, there is a voice command system that can perform many of the operations that are available through the iDrive joystick. For example, saying:

Radio On

or

Turn Radio On

will, of course, do just that. Similarly you can say:

CD4

to start playing the 4th CD in the 6-disc changer. The owner's manual is nicely done, but I need to go through it to figure everything out.

The nav system, by the way, is quite a bit more refined than the E39 and gives out more complete verbal instructions. For instance, the E39 nav system might say "Take the second street on the right", but on the E60 it will also speak many of the street names. One feature seems to be lacking compared with the E39: when you have arrived at your destination, the E39 system further tells you whether the destination is on the left or right side of the road. The E60 system as far can I can tell, does not do this.

And finally, to avoid tire-replacement sticker shock, I purchased a 5-year tire warranty for $299 that will repair or replace any tire or tires at no charge and with no deductible.
ksz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2004, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Silver4evr is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the info. I was quoted $539 for 5 year tire warranty.
Which dealer gave you this price?

2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition
Silver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Gulelin is an unknown quantity at this point
Post some pics if you can, please. I'd love to see a new 545=)
Old 04-11-2004, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
ksz
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver4evr@Apr 10 2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the info. I was quoted $539 for 5 year tire warranty.
Which dealer gave you this price?
The tire warranty is from AutoNation which owns my BMW dealership. If you hadn't posted your experience with the flat tire when you did, I would not have thought to sign up for this.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
ksz
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gulelin@Apr 10 2004, 01:36 PM
Post some pics if you can, please. I'd love to see a new 545=)
I am overseas on a business trip at this time. When I return I'll try to post some images, particularly of the head-up display in action.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
The dealer installed a new run flat tire and ruined my rim by scratching it in several places, especially the edge of the rim.

I thought they had "scratchless" tire changing equipment.

I will be getting back to the dealer tomorrow.

ksz, glad to be of help.

Old 04-12-2004, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Stuka is an unknown quantity at this point
If i got a new 545im, i woul;d probably orgasm and ruin my pants. But thats just me.

6 cylinders, 5 Speeds, 4 Doors, 3 Pedals, 2 Exhaust Pipes, 1 Ultimate Drving Machine
Stuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
ksz
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuka@Apr 12 2004, 12:14 PM
If i got a new 545im, i woul;d probably orgasm and ruin my pants. But thats just me.
LOL! Before that has a chance to happen I am reminded of how much the damn thing costs, and I am inclined to wet my pants in a different way.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
ksz
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Silver4evr@Apr 12 2004, 04:03 AM
The dealer installed a new run flat tire and ruined my rim by scratching it in several places, especially the edge of the rim.

I thought they had "scratchless" tire changing equipment.

I will be getting back to the dealer tomorrow.

ksz, glad to be of help.
My tire warranty covers damage to the rims. In your case the dealer is responsible for the damage and needs to fix the problem to your satisfaction with or without your tire warranty. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2004, 02:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
i'll let you know how it goes!

btw, ball park cost for your new ride?

Which dealer? Have they treated you well?

Old 04-13-2004, 02:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
ksz
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Price was just a tad above $70,000 with sales tax and registration.

I developed a pretty good rapport with my dealer. From the beginning he showed interest, courtesy, and surprisingly good maturity. I especially like to see maturity in the people I deal with. When I took delivery last week, I don't know who was more excited -- me or him. He likes his job and he likes to see happy customers.

I purchased my car from BMW of Fremont which is owned by AutoNation. We have two large BMW dealerships in the south bay and a couple of smaller ones. Stevens Creek and BMW of Fremont are the largest. I have to say, though, that the dealer I met at Stevens Creek was the best I've ever encountered. I would have signed the deal with him if his dealership would have worked with me on price negotiation.

I should say that the finance guy at BMW of Fremont was also good to work with. No B.S. and a good explanation of everything I had to sign.

I had always taken my previous 530i to this dealership for service so I can say that the service department is also quite good, but I don't see two or three of the regular service reps that I had gotten to know. Those guys were just great. If a bulb went bad or other minor problem arose, they would just walk over, fix the problem, and send me back on my way...no paperwork, no appointment. And on most occasions when the car needed more time-consuming maintenance, their on-time record was flawless.

Having said all this, I know that different people will report different experiences from the same dealership. Treatment can and does vary, but I think most dealerships want to provide a good experience to their customers.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2002 Porsche C4S
Photos:
CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations ksv!!! I got to test drive the 545i 6speed a few weeks ago, alone, and of course got to do whatever I wanted! It is an impressive and adrenalin-pumping car...Enjoy it!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
ksz
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmosBlack@Apr 13 2004, 02:41 PM
Congratulations ksv!!! I got to test drive the 545i 6speed a few weeks ago, alone, and of course got to do whatever I wanted! It is an impressive and adrenalin-pumping car...Enjoy it!
Thanks. I fear I might succumb to the call of the M5. Please keep that beast away from me!
Old 04-14-2004, 12:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2002 Porsche C4S
Photos:
CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond reputeCosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, Have Mercy! That is THE Car!

By that time, you would be ready for an upgrade...
Old 04-20-2004, 11:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
ksz
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
As promised, here are a number of photos showing the interior, exterior, iDrive, navigation, head-up display, and engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_000101.jpg (70.0 KB, 57 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)