BMW Werkz banner

rear power windows fail to raise

7K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  treygriffith 
#1 ·
I have a '98 5401.

Last year my right rear window failed to rasie after I had lowered it. So I manually pulled it up. It will still go down via the power button but will not rise. Since no one hardly ever sits back there I wedged it shut.

Yesterday I ran my left rear window down and it failed to come back up. I can manually push this windows up or down, or lower them with power button, but not rasie them without manual manipulation.

Can anyone tell me what going on with these windows, and can I fix them myself

#3 ·
If you are able to pull your switches out, swap the rear left and right for each other, see if the problem switches sides. That'll let you know if its the switch or a motor.

#7 ·
It seems I remember reading somewhere about these cars' windows jumping off track or something like that. You may have to remove the door panel and see what's going on. I found this on the E34 but may be similar on yours: BMW E34 Website

#13 ·
the weakness in window regulators(in practiaclly all cars) is the plastic runner that runs through the window regulators rails while your window moves up and down. They're made of plastic, and made to rub against metal rails.... (for the shooosh of operation) but they do break into pieces over time. on some models, u can replace just the plastic pieces, and on some models, they are riveted in place.

Depending on how creative u are(as these plastic pieces are available on eBay) u can choose to just replace the plastic OR..... "dread", bear the cost of replacing the whole regulator.

i.e. on BMW, Benz & Ford.. the regulator costs an average $200, but u can buy the plastic runners on eBay for $4.-(plus shipping) knock out/grind out the rivets from the old regulator, replace and then rivet the new one's.... and then re-install.

#18 ·
Window Regulators

My drivers side rear window will roll down but not roll back up, and you can hear the motor working. From what iv read im assuming it is a window regulator... can anyone tell me where i can find one at a decent price, and what exactly a reasonable price is for one of these.

Thanks

Jeremy Miller

#19 ·
JG Just performed dr. side rear regulator on my E39. The regulator slide track has a weekness where the cable attaches to the back of the slider. The cable has crimp slug that is capture in the back of the cast aluminum slider. Remove the whole regulator assembly and you'll see the problem. If your the least bit mechanically incline, you can make an external clamp device and save the $250 for a new one. Trey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.