rear passenger window regulator - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
davef is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
rear passenger window regulator

How do you remove the top bolt/screw on the rear passenger window regulator in a 2000 528i? I have disconnected the window already
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Replacing Window Regulator Assembly

- Roll down the window about 80% down. Using a torx T20 driver, unscrew this torx/washer combination.

- Manually, pull the window up to the very top/fully closed position. It should stay put there. You can also ask someone to hold it to make sure it stays in this fully closed position or alternatively you can use some tape.

- Remove the bottom bolt also using the 10mm crescent wrench.

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/W...or/replac3.jpg

- Ok, see this top starburst shaped bolt in the picture below? It's behind that soft plastic window. No, you don't get to it that way. It's also behind the glass window. If it weren't you could use a straight hex bolt driver but life isn't that easy. Get your 10mm crescent wrench, and stick your hand under the sheet metal and reach behind the window glass and remove the bolt.

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/W...or/replac4.jpg

- Pull off the wiring harness of the window motor assembly. Using a Torx T25 remove the four torx screws from the motor assembly. These screws are pointed to at the right.
- Pull the regulator assembly up and pull the bottom towards the front of the car. Now you can slide it out.

- Replace with the new window regulator assembly. Slide the assembly's bottom bolt into its cradle. Now here's the really hard part: Screwing back the top bolt requires a bit of manual dexerity. I spent what seemed like a good 15-20 minutes just trying to screw this top bolt back. See the project notes below for more details.

- Tighten the bottom bolt.

- Screw the window motor assembly back to the door.

- Pull the window down to the shuttle part and put the torx screw/washer back on. Set it back into position and screw the T20 torx/washer assembly back on. Don't overtighten it to the point where the glass cracks!

- Plug the window switch back into the harness and make sure the window goes up and down (Oh yeah, if it doesn't, make sure the key is in the second position, the child window locks are not engaged. If the window is not moving freely, then unbolt the torx screw/washer and make sure the window glass is on the right track and hasn't rotated. Don't force anything if there is resistance or if the window is not on the right track or else you might break the window.) Otherwise, If it's working correctly/smoothly, then you're good to go.

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?

Last edited by Jack Dabsy; 06-09-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)