BMW Werkz banner

Rear Ball Joint Replacement

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dirty_Tool 
#1 ·
A BMW master tech recently examined my car (a freebie event sponsored by the local chapter of the BMW CCA). He noted that my left rear ball joint was worn and needed replacement. He said the right rear was OK and that I only needed to replace the one side - unnecessary to replace in pairs.

My 1999 540/6 is at 110K miles. I'm figuring I ought to just replace both rear ball joints; the ball joint is only about $30 each at the dealer.

Are these babies tough to replace for Joe Average wrench-turner? Any special tools required? Alignment required afterward? Should I do both sides?

PS - After seeing how easy it would be to do and how cheap it was, I ordered my M5 rear sway bar and will be picking it up later this week.... :drool

#2 ·
Eric,
This job requires an expensive ($150) tool and is kind of a bear to do. An alignment is required aterwards. I personally would recommend doing them in pairs because if you spend a couple hundred bucks on an alignment and the other ball joint goes bad in a few months you're gonna have to replace it then align it again, so you will pay for an alignment twice. I'd say get that rear sway bar on yourself then pay the pro's to do the rear ball joints and alignment.
Good Luck,
DT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.