Ran a few 1/4s tonite @ the drag strip (long) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 12:08 AM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Talking Ran a few 1/4s tonite @ the drag strip (long)

I've never even been to a drag strip before, but tonight was "open" Friday night at the local drag strip and I met a couple of friends there. After seeing everything from Civics in the 11's and Ford Exploders running 16's) I watched a guy in an E46 M3 run in the mid 15's. used: He and others were having launching issues (plus he was a bit clueless).

I know there are published figures for a 1998 540/6 running 14.0 in the 1/4 and 5.5 0-60 (no doubt with fewer than my 127K miles with original clutch), so I was figuring I should be able to at least do mid-upper 14's, right?

My first run was a disaster: I shut off the AC, but they made me roll up my windows and they got all fogged up right when I was staging!: I also forgot to turn off DSC in the midst of that. To make matters worse, after spinning tires in 1st (DSC?!?), I missed my 1-2 shift, getting the shifter hung up in that reverse gate! : Laughable result: I ran a 16.79, but my 94 mph indicated potential. I lost to a modified SABLE who ran 16.49/84mph.

I wanted to make up for my stupid errors & humiliation, so I made one more run. This time I was up against a loud, modified 4th gen Camaro (my drivetrain is bone stock, I don't even have an intake). I did a little burnout before staging, which helped. I left the defroster/AC on this time and turned off DSC. Shallow stage...and...the launch was unbelieveable!! WOW! The 540 TOOK OFF! Despite my mediocre .37 reaction time, I bagged the Camaro at the 60-foot point (2.24 versus 2.41). Then, I MISSED THE FRICKIN' 1-2 SHIFT AGAIN!! : : Still, I quickly found the right gate and kept going, but could not reel in the Camaro after that f-up. Final tally: 14.84 @ 96.4, the Camaro ran 13.35 @ 107.53. Ahhh, that's more like it!

What a rush!! I think if I hadn't missed that 1-2 shift I would have run much closer to 14.0. Man, that's a fast car. Now I am thinking of going again and want to break the 100 mph barrier (first, I have to master that dadgum 1-2 shift)! I bet swapping in an M5 3.15 LSD diff would do the trick...

PS - The car ran silky smooth all the way home. And I would be willing to bet I was the only person there to remove a baby seat from the back seat prior to coming to the track...

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater

Last edited by Eric S.; 05-13-2006 at 12:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
haha that sounds like a pretty awesome night! wish there was a strip around here... im not into that whole drag thing, but i figure if they had an open night then that would help me work on shifting faster and all... sounds like your other shifts worked out pretty nice concitering the time you made up... well on the second drag... haha
#3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 12:35 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker185
haha that sounds like a pretty awesome night! wish there was a strip around here... im not into that whole drag thing, but i figure if they had an open night then that would help me work on shifting faster and all... sounds like your other shifts worked out pretty nice concitering the time you made up... well on the second drag... haha
Thanks, yeah, it was a blast! BTW, thanks for changing your avatar. Your original one sort of creeped me out a little...:lol:

#4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
hahaha you can thank les for the avatar... hence me now being the dumb user of the month... (year) hahaha but yeah the old one was me just fucking around one late night... i dono i thought it was kinda cool hahaha
#5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 01:10 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
sounds like you had fun. A 540 should run very low 14s...just get that 1-2 shift down and you'll be unbeatable

#6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Sodium Chloride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
sounds like you had fun. A 540 should run very low 14s...just get that 1-2 shift down and you'll be unbeatable
do you know of any local tracks?? i know they run auto x over at poppa johns but besides that i think the closest track around would be ky speedway and thats a boring oval...
#7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker185
do you know of any local tracks?? i know they run auto x over at poppa johns but besides that i think the closest track around would be ky speedway and thats a boring oval...
i really have no idea, but i know auto x is at either ups parking lot or papa johns when its local ... or in ft. knox.

there is a 1/8th mile strip at ohio valley somewher around preston (?) I believe, but I havent been; i can find out if u want.

#8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 01:52 AM
Sodium Chloride

ehh if u hear abuot anything let me know, but dont go out searching for stuff, its not that big a deal... ima hit up some auto x after i get this car how i want it to run...
#9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 12:43 AM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
drop the car, drop the money, buy 00 m5
can you say 13 sec?

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
#10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:18 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeadman
drop the car, drop the money, buy 00 m5
can you say 13 sec?
Right you are Superdeadman, but have no fear - I sense your sarcasm (my primary language) - because an awful lot of reliability and maintenance baggage comes with that 13 second quarter by way of a 2000 M5.

Actually, with another good launch and no missed 1-2 shift I am confident my "old decrepit" car could run 14-flat or darn near it. With just the addition of the M5's 3.15 M5 LSD, it would be in the 13's.

But with the H&Rs and Konis, it is more suited to road course use now. I may try out V.I.R. at some point - that facility is only a couple hours or so from my house...

#11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 09:51 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S.
Right you are Superdeadman, but have no fear - I sense your sarcasm (my primary language) - because an awful lot of reliability and maintenance baggage comes with that 13 second quarter by way of a 2000 M5.

Actually, with another good launch and no missed 1-2 shift I am confident my "old decrepit" car could run 14-flat or darn near it. With just the addition of the M5's 3.15 M5 LSD, it would be in the 13's.

But with the H&Rs and Konis, it is more suited to road course use now. I may try out V.I.R. at some point - that facility is only a couple hours or so from my house...
No, it doesn't.

I am a 2000 M5 owner. My car is reliable as rain during India's monsoon season.

Other than the normal gasket leakage and nit noid stuff it is a solid performer.

I drive it every day, to the redline, all the time.

Member 150+ MPH club
Member of the 3-Pedal club
Memebr BMW FORUMS V1 CLUB
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
#12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 10:08 AM
1st Gear Member

thejobman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thejobman
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwebb12

Other than the normal gasket leakage and nit noid stuff it is a solid performer.

used: There is nothing normal about gasket leakage if you ask me! Doesn't that set you back a few grand everytime?

Eric- dont worry man, I'll be bring'n in that 14.0-14.2 1/4 mi slip soon
(well, as soon as it stops raining here in jersey!)

Sportbike Rear Camera Systems! www.MotionalEyes.com

1999 BMW 540i 6-speed - M Sport Package

CHECK OUT MY RIDE @ CARDOMAIN.COM!
#13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:19 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks jobman, I'll also let you know when i get back out there (the next run-what-u-brung Friday nite is 5/26, and it's every two weeks thereafter).

Regarding the M5 reliability, I am glad Webb weighed in and I don't discount what he is saying (but we must consider well-documented early M5 issues such as carbon build-up). My problem, as always, is one of economics. My 540 was the nicest 5-er I could afford at the time of purchase. Then, as now, an E39 M5 was and is out of the question. Even if purchase price weren't the barrier, I also have to consider insurance rates, plus my "ex" and all THOSE issues. Another story for another day. Oh well, I am set for now, for better or worse...

#14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2006, 02:28 PM
For Teh Walrus?

WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to WALSRU Send a message via MSN to WALSRU
My old 325 ran a 15.4 on bald tires on a non-prepped track.

"I would not know what the spirit of a philosopher might wish more to be than a good dancer."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

1980 635csi Euro . . . Current
1985 535i . . . Soon to be parted out
2001 Subaru Forester . . . DD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)