BMW Werkz banner

Radio Upgrade on E39

10K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  transporter528 
#1 ·
Well.. what can I say.. I love the car.. (2001 525I) but the radio plain sucks. My Altima had better sound than this car. Soooo.... I want to upgrade, but I don't want to put in traditional unit in there. I think it would look wrong... it would make my car look out of place... so I was thinking is there any other options to just take out current radio with BUsiness CD and put in something else? Something with Navigation maybe? Would it work?

Help? :banghead

#4 ·
I know exactly what you're feeling, coz I felt the same when I got my E39 :cry

I also thought after changing the factory unit to some other brands would make it look out of place, especially all the things in BMW illuminated in amber at night. But I really couldn't stand the 6 CD changer and the factory unit.

Anyway, I changed the headunit with a 10 CD/MP3 changer, amp + 10" sub x 2. I've not regret the change over, I now have a much better headunit with 1500+ songs for me to enjoy! :nana

In fact, I found the aftermarket headunit looks better than factory
:lol:

So . I would recommend the change. Takes only a day to do it.

Here are some pics

#5 ·
There are places, that for a fee, (looking at like 200 bucks + head unit) will make you a radio/cd player that LOOKS stock.

Mostly for older hot rods, to keep the classic look. I'm sure you could get them to make you one.

#6 ·
Originally posted by SKT174@Sep 17 2004, 07:38 PM
I know exactly what you're feeling, coz I felt the same when I got my E39 :cry

I also thought after changing the factory unit to some other brands would make it look out of place, especially all the things in BMW illuminated in amber at night. But I really couldn't stand the 6 CD changer and the factory unit.

Anyway, I changed the headunit with a 10 CD/MP3 changer, amp + 10" sub x 2. I've not regret the change over, I now have a much better headunit with 1500+ songs for me to enjoy! :nana

In fact, I found the aftermarket headunit looks better than factory
:lol:

So . I would recommend the change. Takes only a day to do it.

Here are some pics

[snapback]191679[/snapback]​

Did you have the on-board computer? what happened to it? I cannot quite tell from the photo.
Also, what is the headunit you got?

#8 ·
I felt the same way as you .The highs sound ok in the e39 so i just added some bass. All i did was tap the amp for rca wires, tap the remote turn on and run a battery and ground wire to my amp. I hooked up a 12" solobaric L7 sub and a amp and now it sounds awsome. keep in mind you need a good sub to get any bass out of abmw cause its well sealed. And if you look into my car it looks stock and i didnt even have to touch the interior or remove it for the install.

Look in the stereo section and look up the wireing codes for your radio on this web site. http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/index.htm

good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.