BMW Werkz banner

Radiator Leak From Bleed Screw!!!!

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bryan1970 
#1 ·
1990 525i.

I just bought a 1990 525i with an M20 engine. This weekend, I changed the coolant. The bleed screw was a little hard to break loose, but it came loose with a little bit of force and I thought things were fine. I filled the radiator and replaced the bleed screw. I was unable to completely tighten the screw down. The threads on the bleed screw looked like a portion were wiped out, so I replaced it with a new factory screw. I am still unable to tighten the bleed screw enough to keep coolant from flowing out once the car warms up. It appears that the threads are shot on the female side, ie the radiator.
This is the original radiator and I did not cross-thread the screw!
Is there a repair kit for the radiator threads or does someone have an idea to fix this so I don't have to get a new radiator?

Thanks,
Joe

#3 ·
eeehhhh you'd probablly be better of just replacing the radiator unfortunatly. the teflon tape trick might work. but eventually it will fail and it would really suck for it to fail when your on a road trip and not near a dealer to get new parts. plus chances are that your factory radiator will leak sometime down the road anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.