Quick Question About Mpg - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 11:10 PM
da_administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
(Thread Starter)
It seems as if it happened when I took my clock/mpg/everything else display out to replace the little pain-in-the-butt-to-replace bulbs. My mpg works fine, but the range shows like 445+ when I fill up and when the "low-gas" indicator light comes on it still thinks I have 300-350 miles left when I hit "Range". This thing used to be fairly accurate, but not now. I also swear there used to be an instant setting somewhere that would show real-time mpg, like letting off the gas going downhill would peg it at 99+ or whatever the highest one was. Anyone familiar with this. Thanks in advance....

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Neutral Member

machinehead is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to machinehead Send a message via Yahoo to machinehead
I had a similar thing with a 2nd hand OBC for my E34. Whe it was cold, say for the first 10 miles, it would read ok, then the reading would creep up and finally reads 99.9 mpg, range 400+ miles. It (the OBC) seems to loose the sense of the fuel being used (from the fuel injection computer) so when it registers only a small amount of fuel over large number of miles the calculation of MPG comes up with the max. displayable value of 99.9

I hoped it was just a bad connection on the multi-plug (worth a check) but no such luck so I’ve had to bin the unit and buy another (the joys of second hand stuff) the replacement works just fine and reads about 25mpg (which is what I reckoned before I got the OBC )

If anyone has an answer I’ll try and fix the other one and give it to my brother as his doesn’t have one fitted to his cars either!

Hope your problem is less drastic but thought I'd share my experience.

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>because life's too short not to..........</span></span></span>
#3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2005, 05:16 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
(Thread Starter)
The actual mpg I get is displayed correctly (18-20). Its just every time I have to fill up, it shows I still have 300 miles left before empty. When I fill up it just goes to a higher number (445+ or something to that effect)

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)