Questions bout 99 528i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 04:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
crackerkorean is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to crackerkorean Send a message via Yahoo to crackerkorean
(Thread Starter)
I was looking at a 01 3 series but came across a place here localy that deals in Bimmers.

I found a 99 528i 5sp for ~13500 with 95,000 miles on it.
This was a one owner car and the only thing wrong was the front passenger coner was dinged up. He put new fender hood and bumper on it.

There are a few little things inside are not perfect. Like the AUTO button is cracked along with the wood grain on the console but you can barely tell.

Would this be a wise purchase? All this guy deals with is BMW an has been around since 96.

What kinda things should I look for and how do I tell if has the sport and premium package.

I do know it has 16" wheels if that helps.

thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 05:29 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Is your mind set on a 3 or 5 series??

It sounds like the car in question was not well taken care of. I would wait if I were you. Another thing, the 5 series are a little heavier than the 3 series. Drive both models and see how they compare. I have a 97 540i and I love it, pretty darn fast, a real V6 eater!!.

If the car has leather/sunroof/cd player, then it has premium package. As for the sport package, check for bucket seats/lumbar support and I believe 17" wheels. low profiles tires...

Is this a stick, auto? Drive the car and see how it handles... suspension could be damage from the "DING"... Sometimes deals are not so great. Good luck.

LOS
#3 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to crackerkorean Send a message via Yahoo to crackerkorean
(Thread Starter)
I would like either a 5 or a 3. both are nice and better in different ways for different reasons.

Other than those inperfections everything on the car is straight. I forgot its missing the outer part of the AC vent for the driver side rear seat. But everything else is super clean.

I have driven both and I like both for different reasons. Up to this point I am not 100% on what kind of car I want. The 5 is a larger more luxry car and the 3 is more sportier. I like both.

How can I tell buckets from non buckets? It doenst have 17s so I am assuming that it does not have the sport package.

It is a manual car and it drives like a dream. No squeaks or rattles anywhere. This is a reputable personally owned BMW shop in the area( not a BMW dealership).
#4 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 09:35 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

bucket seats have thigh and lumbar support. The thigh support it's like an extra extension for your thighs... Check the gap between tires and fender. If it seems low, it has the sport package. Anything over two and a half inches doesn't have the sport suspension. Can you post pictures?

The other thing to consider as you mentioned is The 5 series are more luxurios still sportier but not as agile as the 3 series.... I would go for a 5 series simple because there is more room. I tell you what, if you can find a 540i even better!! So if you're going to be zipping in and out the 3 series.... For luxury and a little less agility, the 5 series... For power, the V8!

As for the engine, it if was well taken care of, it should be no problem. What about records on the car? How was the clutch? They usually go out round 70-80k miles
#5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 09:52 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I did not notice the lumbar support but it did have the thigh extentions.

I looked at this car for the room as opposed to the 3 series. I can give up some of the agility for the extra room.
I am going to stick with the 6 for gas milage and it has plenty of power for me. Not looking to rip up the roads. ( I have been driving 4 cyl imports for the past 3 years)

How would one go about getting records on the car? The clutch flet ok but not sure if it has been replaced. How could I tell?

The guy that has the car buys cars from auction. This partucular had one owner. Like earlier the car was bought from auction dinged up but he replaced all the body panels that were damaged. There was no internal damage. He runs a service shop and only works on BMW and MB and my father in law ( Master Mechanic for mazda) has heard many good things about this guy.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 10:11 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

What I meant was service records. The clutch from my experience you would feel some "play" (loose feeling) as you press the clutch. Clutch replacement is about $800 here in Calif...
#7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 11:17 AM
5th Gear Member

Silver4evr is an unknown quantity at this point
What's the explanation for the new fender/hood? I'd be wary if parts like that have been replaced. Did you get a Carfax on it and have it inspected by an independent mechanic? If not, you're lookin' for trouble, imo.

2004 E60 530is, Delivered 12/12/03, TiSilver/LGrey, PP, SP,PS, PDC, ACC, FRS, Step, Xenons, clear bra, body colored rear inserts. (Retired, 1983 henna red 320is)

2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition
#8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2004, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
IT was wrecked very minor like on the passenger corner. So instead of fixing the body panels he just replaced them.

I am going to run a car fax on it tonight when i get home. And if thats clear when I go up there again I will look over it with a fine tooth comb.

What I did see, nothing under the body panels was replaced. It was more cosmetic than structural.

And I planned on having another guy look at the car to make sure all is good. Now I just have to find one that knows what hes talking about.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Here are some piucs of the car. also how do I move the center console back and stop the radio from being so echoey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw1.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	9497  
#10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 09:16 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
second one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw2.jpg
Views:	932
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	9498  
#11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 09:16 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
third
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw3.jpg
Views:	1912
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	9499  
#12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 09:17 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
and an interior pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw5.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	9500  
#13 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 09:17 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

Looks great from the outside... Put some some nice 18" Ac Shitzer wheels, low profiles tire.... SWEET!!!

The price sounds great... Just make sure a mechanic looks at it... Good luck
Let us know the outcome...
#14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 09:22 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

Hey I forgot.... Looks like the car doesn't have the sport package, the gap between tire/fender is height... In that year, the only cars that had the sport package were sticks... not automatics...Hmmm Maybe it was an option for sticks..
Mine is an automatic without the sport package but it handles great
#15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 11:51 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Well My mechanic couldnt find anything wrong with it. So thats good. Do you by chance know how to move the center console arm rest back? I cant put the e-brake on all the way.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)