BMW Werkz banner

Put an 82 528e tranny in a 96 535i?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ronskal 
#1 ·
My first post here. My GF's daughter totalled the 82 528e with a manual tranny and we went out and grabbed an 86 535i with a manual tranny that acts like the synchros are bad. It grinds when you shift, clutch seems OK.

Anyways the 528e has a Getrag 265/6 and the 535i has the Getrag 260/6 tranny according to the Bentley manual. The Bentley book says that the trannies will bolt up to either engine but driveline lengths vary.

How about a total swap-out of tranny, shifter, driveline etc...

The totalled 528 has only 90K miles on it. We bought it from my sister who had it since about 1984. It's a good parts car, the tranny is good.

How about repairing the 535i trans?

BTW, I have a spare parts 528e thats good from the radiator back (excluding hood and fenders, their bent). If you need parts, let me know.

Thanks

#2 ·
I don't think those tranny's will bolt up because the engines are different, but if the bentley says so then yes. Check the driveshafts to make sure they are the same length. If they are not, make sure the rear half of the 528 tranny can bolt up to the diff. on the 535. If it does you can combine it with the front section of the 535 driveshaft and have it balanced out.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. Bentley says "Although each of the trans. covered in this manual will bolt up to any of the engines used in the 5 series, diveshaft lengths vary between engine types".

So, I gotta hang my hat on that at least.

Bentley lists the 85 535i as having the same tranny as the 82 528e in their chart here so maybe a total driveshaft swap will work.......hmmm.

It's a lotta work, but my labor is free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.