Problems with memory seat, 525I - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 10:59 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jam05 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I bought a new 2003 525I in July of 2003. The memory seat does not work, never has, and I have not felt that I have received a straight answer from BMW.

Here is what happens. My wife takes the car on an errand. She uses her key and sets the seat to her position (position 2). When she gets back to the house, she parks it in our garage, unlocked.

Now, I take the car out. I go out to the car, set the seat to my position (position 1), and go to work. I get out of the car, lock it with my key. When I come back and push the button on the key to unlock the car, the seat goes to my wife's position!!

I have demonstrated the problem repeatedly to my dealer. The problem has nothing to do with using the wrong key, not setting up the memory seat correctly (they can't set it up so that it works right either), etc. They could not find the problem, but they replaced all of the components they could think of anyway. It did not work. Then, they told me that the problem is that we are not locking the car after EVERY use. They told me that the memory seat will not respond to the key properly unless this is done. I only got this answer after they were unable to come up with a better explanation.

I am not buying it. I have called BMW several times and have only been told that they are working on it (over a week now with no reply).

Am I missing something here? I cannot believe that this is normal. The seat does not work as advertised or as described in the owner's manual.

For now, I had the dealer set the car up so that the memory seat no longer responds to the key--the way it has worked so far is worse than nothing.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 11:38 PM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

I have a problem too with my memory settings. Everytime I lock my car, then when I unlock it, the steering wheel would come out of my set position. This is not the tilt feature for getting in and out of the car. So this means that everytime I unlock my car, I have to manually push the memory button to put the steering back to where I set it. Talking about convenience!!!

I bought the car used, so the problem is the key was programmed with the previous owner's settings. Well...they can't reprogram it coz' I do not have the DSP CD Changer anymore, and on the DIS, when they tried to reprogram the key/memory setting, it got stuck with a DSP error.

This is one of my many frustrations with BMW's inefficient and unreliable hi-tech equipment. Below is a copy of what I posted in another forum in replying to a question of what we think of the new 2004 5 series:

I forsee many elecronic failures/breakdowns. BMW owners will have to pay for the testing of new and advanced technology. I don't know about you all, but with the E39 I am already feeling that this is one area where BMW is definitely slacking in reliability. They are rushing into hi-tech stuff for their late models these past few years, I guess to keep up with times and to stay ahead of their competition. They have a long history of building driving machines...but electronics and software....???

I have always been a loyal BMW lover and owner (still struggling to be one!), but lately have been very frustrated with the reliability of their product, eventhough I still believe my car performs and handles exceptionally well. But RELIABILITY counts!

Long before I could afford my first BMW, in my younger years, the closest I got to one was in a showroom or at a carshow. I still remember closing the doors and was so impressed with the solid "chomp". I told myself I wanted a BMW one day, even the doors shut solid! Well...my first BMW came in 1998, it was a used 95 540iA. Doors shut solid all right, "Chomp".

Now I have a 2000 540iA, where did the "Chomp" go??? A friend of mine got a brand new X5 3.0...no "Chomps", doors shut like any other car. Another friend with a 98 528i, same thing. I checked out the new cars in the showroom, most of them lost the "Chomps" except the 7series. I know, some of you will say it's no big deal with how the doors shut, but little things matter and they all add up. Even my windshield doesn't stand up to scratches and the highway anymore. Neither does the paintjob! I used to believe BMWs had the best paintjobs around! Leather seats that squeak with your every move? I have been in other "lesser" cars that doesn't do that!

What I'm saying is, prices are hiking, quality is compromised, and we are paying for the testing of hi-technology. I really want to remain a BMW owner...but I don't know for how long before I lose faith in their product. At some point, I have actually thought of the possibility of another make for my next car...maybe a Porsche....even a Japanese! That is a very unhealthy thought coz' eversince I have driven my first BMW, I knew I would never drive anything less. But when your expectations are met with disappointments, I guess loyalty and faith will slowly diminish.....afterall....I did say I will never drive anything less.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)