Problem with Start - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
e39kooshal is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Red face Problem with Start

Hi All...I would really appreciate your help here guy...I am having a big problem with my engine (E39 525D car but with an engine 525dts)...Normally i am being told that heater for the engine...are not working properly...so normally I have to switch the car on....(heater light on...then switch off back)..repeat action like 3 times...then start engine (else...engine take long time to switch on...and can cause damage to the starter). Now big problem is that...if the car is on for like 30mins (n the car temperature is now on 50% (half way)..which is normal for the car)....if i switch the engine off....n leave the car for like 10 mins....when i switch it on again...the heater,,,(which have to normally stay on for like around 5-8 seconds to heat.....) is on for like 2 seconds... and i have to hold the key tuned...(in position to start engine) for like 20 seconds for car engine to be on...there is big risk...for it to damage my starter..which cost a fortune...please help guys...any sugessions..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
I would say its to do with the fuel system, could well be you HP pump failing (High pressure) or it may even be your fuel pump, but sounds to me to be the HPP.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 08:25 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hiii...thanks a lot Marti...but some of my friends are saying that if its the HP Pump Pressure....the car would have other problems such as push dark smoke...take lots of diesel...(which is not the case)....i just want to understand HOW the heater heats, like 6 seconds (heater logo on on the dashboard)...when the car is cool...but heater does not heat (heater light on for only like 1 second on dashboard)...meaning heater is not heating....when the car is not cool (like i just travels for like 1 hour and the car is then put off for like 15mins to 30 mins)...is this not because of any sensor in the car for heat?? please help...btw...how much a HP Pump cos?? (in US $)
#4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Help from over the pond

Do you get a lot of smoke from the tail pipe on start up and have to crank it over a long time?

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:03 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Again...thanks for the reply Marti....Yes....indeed..when the car is not in cool state (please note am from mauritius and average temperature is like 25 Degrees Celcius)...the car heater is on for only like a ONE second...and when the heater does not heat...I have to crank it (turn the key and hold) for like 10 seconnds and....eventually....the tail pipe pushes lot of smoke when it starts but....it return back to normal once its on....but...when the car is cool....(temperature wiper showing....less than half)...the heater indicator does stay on for like 6 seconds and i can start the car quite quickly...and tail pipe does not lot of smoke.....upon start,,,,,Do you guys think this might be caused only cause of the heater (engine heater)???
#6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:18 AM
Help from over the pond

Sounds to me like your glow plugs need changing (pre-heaters).

#7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:58 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hi Marti,

Thanks again for the reply...But after lots research, it seems its a hot start problem normally caused by a bad Cam Shaft Sensor or fuel pump...some even saying it might be caused due to a leak upon the fuel injection pump....but the thing is that the car works perfectly when it is on..and starts also with no problem when it is cold...just when you allow the engine on for like 10 mins...which heats the car....the car have big problems to start...i have to crank it a lot...(but just when car uis hot)...I really want to understand whats really wrong before buying something...please help guys....
#8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 04:27 AM
Help from over the pond

Hmmm...I'm thinking its the injector pump,the one where all the injector pipes come from,try this, get it up to temp(needle mid on the gauge) turn it off, get a gallon or so of ice cold water and pour it over the pump slowly, with a watering can or similar, then see if it starts up,if it does its the seals in the pump, if not Ill have another think....

#9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hi Marti

Again thanks for your reply...well..i tried having a look but i could not find the Injection Pump...do i have to remove the black cover to see it?? I also needed to know something else ...i went to a machanic...who tested all glowplugs on my car...and said all were working good (he just tested it using a wire and connected it to another bolt..in the car engine block) he said all heaters were good...so...i wanted to know if all my glowplugs were good...why do i have to heat the car like 3 times for it to start?? (when car is cold....i have to switch on...see heater logo on then off like 4 seconds...then i switch off n switch on again and allow glowplugs to heat again...repeat process normally 3 times then i crank and the car starts if i do it just once...i have to crank a longer...>>he said this problem and the other problem of hot start problem was due to my piston circle are worn out...(USED)...do you guys think this is true?? also he open a squared cover (where we put engine oil...it reads recommends castrol)...and asked me to switch on engine...and when i did so..some oil were splitted out...he said,....this was also caused due to piston circle worn out....is this true?? please help guys...as this might cost very expensive...and finally where to i find that injection pump??

Last edited by e39kooshal; 01-27-2010 at 02:53 AM.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 03:59 AM
Help from over the pond

To find the injection pump follow the pipe from the injectors this will lead to the pump, after reading the above I'm now wondering if its the injector seals, which is a ring seal between the injector and head, when these get old they shrink, when you keep cranking over the engine the oil comes up and seals them again which stops a vacuum leak thus allowing the engine to start....

#11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hi Marti...

I will try that as soon as possible...but do you think that a the Piston Ring inside the engine...might be faulty?? and is the reason why this is happening??
#12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:55 AM
Help from over the pond

No I dont think its a ring at this point, the only way to find this out would be a compression test though....here's the blurb:

Typically, and generally speaking, black smoke indicates excess fuel cunsumption while oil burning is usually a bluish grey smoke. here are two types of rings on most pistons. Compression and oil rings. Compression rings are easily checked by performing a thorough compression test. Any competent technician would be able to perform a wet/ dry compression test to check for ring condition. Oil rings are more difficult to verify. One simple test is to head down a steep long hill alowing the engine to slow the car, letting off the gas) at the bottom of the hill accelerate and check for a excess "puff" of bluish grey smoke. This is often a good indication of worn oil rings (as opposed to other causes of oil consumption)

Last edited by marti5; 01-27-2010 at 05:00 AM.
#13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
ok...thanks a lot...i will check this tonight when i get home....in any case the car does not appear to haveany excess fuel consumption...as about the smoke..it only push lot of smoke...when it starts...Upon lots of cranking...
#14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Help from over the pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by e39kooshal View Post
as about the smoke..it only push lot of smoke...when it starts...Upon lots of cranking...
Which is normal if you have to pre heat it 3 times....

When it does start what colour smoke do you get?

Black Smoke
This is due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen ) a few things to look for :

•Faulty injectors (injectors need attention at about 100.000 to 120 000 miles)
•Faulty injector pump
•Dirty air cleaner
•Turbocharger or intercooler faulty
•Problems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR (exhaust gas recycling unit)

White Smoke
Normally means that the fuel injected into the cylinder is not burning correctly. The smoke will burn your eyes.

•Engine/pump timing out
•Fuel starvation to the pump causing the pumps timing not to operate correctly
•Low engine compression
•Water/petrol in the fuel

Blue Smoke
The engine is burning engine oil

•Worn cylinders or piston rings
•Faulty valves or valve stem seals
•Engine over full with engine oil
•Faulty injector pump/lift pump allowing engine oil to be mixed with the diesel

Last edited by marti5; 01-27-2010 at 07:59 AM.
#15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 AM
n00b

sultanazam is on a distinguished road
e39d 3.0 m sport, taking a long time to start

Hi I have e39d m sport 3.0 2002,

when i attempt to start the car it turns over for quite a while before it starts.

other times the engine will keep cranking and finally it stops, so i try again and finally it will fire into life, but then there would be lots of smoke.

The car drives fine, goes like a banshee on to the motorway, ticks over very smoothly.

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)