Problem: DCS and ABS lights on :( - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 10:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thejobman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to thejobman
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Problem: DCS and ABS lights on :(

My ABS brake and DSC lights turn on and stay on from time to time when starting my car.... I spoke to my landlord, who also is a head tech at my local dealer. He says that I need to replace the control unit ($600) and back left rear tire sensor ($99).

He would charge me $100 for labor, so total to fix would be $800. He is telling me that the "stealership” price is closer to $1350.

I also have a check engine light, that he will be looking at today as well. Wonder how much that is going to set me back

Either way, the DSC/ABS problem does not need to be fixed right away since I will keep my driving to a minimum this winter (I work in NYC, so I take the train into work)

I am just worried about the check engine light ... either way, just wondering if any one out there has had this DSC/ABS problem. I noticed my cruise control has stopped functioning as well (when I experience this problem).

Thanks for your input!

Sportbike Rear Camera Systems! www.MotionalEyes.com

1999 BMW 540i 6-speed - M Sport Package

CHECK OUT MY RIDE @ CARDOMAIN.COM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 05:42 PM
n00b

528iTdude is on a distinguished road
ABS light

Mine stays on from time to time, but once I turn off the car, it resets itself, and it is off when I restart the car up. Recently, it does come on when I am driving.... PITA.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 09:27 PM
n00b

chenxin1929 is on a distinguished road
The check engine light goes hand in hand with the abs issue. check engine light goes whenever there is any problem with the engine. I had the same problem with the abs, dsc and check engine light. All the prices you quoted was the same situation I dealt with. If you go to just a mechanic obviously the labor will be cheaper. I took my out-of-warranty car to a bmw technician and they charged 120$ an hour. I dont honestly think your landlord misquoted as I spent well over that 1350 and replaced 3 of the 4 wheel sensors and the abs control unit (600$ sounds about right).
Yo say you dont drive that often, so maybe you'll just ignore the abs/dsc lights for now. but if you don't prepare to dish out that dough to fix the problem. Sorry and good luck.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 08:12 AM
n00b

LadyBim is on a distinguished road
I've experienced exactly the same issue. My DSC/ABS indicator lights starting turning on when I started the car, then while driving. I had all the wheel sensors checked, wheel hubs, the wiring checked front to back and it turns out the ABS Module needs to be replaced. For me and our winter driving conditions it is a safety issue driving with the ABS system messed up so I will have to replace it like it or not. Unfortunately where I live it's a $ 1400 fix. The forum did offer some other alternatives....see my previous post under ABS Module.

LadyBim
#5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 12:48 AM
n00b

dcuse32 is on a distinguished road
dsc/abs module

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobman View Post
My ABS brake and DSC lights turn on and stay on from time to time when starting my car.... I spoke to my landlord, who also is a head tech at my local dealer. He says that I need to replace the control unit ($600) and back left rear tire sensor ($99).

He would charge me $100 for labor, so total to fix would be $800. He is telling me that the "stealership” price is closer to $1350.

I also have a check engine light, that he will be looking at today as well. Wonder how much that is going to set me back

Either way, the DSC/ABS problem does not need to be fixed right away since I will keep my driving to a minimum this winter (I work in NYC, so I take the train into work)

I am just worried about the check engine light ... either way, just wondering if any one out there has had this DSC/ABS problem. I noticed my cruise control has stopped functioning as well (when I experience this problem).

Thanks for your input!
i you guy need a cheapdsc/abs module go to modulemaster.com..its way cheaper then any dealership or online store
#6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 05:25 AM
n00b

Jared@EACTuning is on a distinguished road
There's no reason for repairs to go over 1k.

Try module masters first. Even though they only have a 25% success rate, it's worth a try.

Second, buy a module from an online parts source and have it coded by your indy or dealer. Even then you are looking at under $700.

Jared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)