BMW Werkz banner

power steering problem

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bryan1970 
#1 ·
Hi, my power steering used to leak fluid and i would have to add some once in a while, last week i finally got the car checked at the mechanic and he said its the steering box. So i changed it and the car started making a tiny bit of noise when ur first starting to move, he told me that after i drive it, it will go away cuz there is air still in the system. So i drove it for a few days and it got worse, so he checked it out and told me the power steering pump needs to be replaced, so i replaced it with a used one and the car worked fine and the noise went away. 1 day later the noise has come back and i think its gettin worse, has anyone had this problem before, could the pump that i got be bad or is it because he didnt get the air out of the system, or could it also be that one of the hoses is leakin fluid and air is going in?????
Also the car has fluid under it but i cant tell if its the pump or a hose...

Thanks

#2 ·
your last theory on maybe a hose is sucking in air seems like a place to check first. mainly becasue you have already replaced everything else in the power steering system but the hoses. and yeah the pump could be bad since it is used. but i'd look to some sort of air leak 1st. also mainly becasue it doesn't require replacing any parts right off and could be cheaper

#3 ·
Thanks man, i had the car checked the other day, and they said its the hose that goes from the power steering pump to the steering box, but i cant find anyone who sells it, a lot of ppl told me that only dealer carrys it, doesnt anyone know anyone else who has it.

#4 ·
sorry i don't know if any aftermarket companies sell that hose i always get my parts from the dealer. however i do know that if you are planning on doing it yourself it is a real pain. it's about a btich and a half even when you have all the right tools and a lift. the biggest issue is getting the crush rings back on the banjo bolt on the steering box. because that bolt is nestled right on the the top of the valve cover and it is really hard to even get a wrench on. the best way i have found is to take the nut off the driver side engine mount and with a floor jack and ofcourse a piece of wood lift up that side of the engine to where you can atleast see the banjo bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.