Power Steering Hose And Fluid - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 10:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dberger is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

I had my 1998 528i inspected and they said I have a small leak in the power steering hose. What should I expect to pay to replace this and/or is it an easy fix? If I can do it myself, I would like to. Where is the hose and power steering fluid located? I don't have the manual.

thanks.
dberger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 10:33 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Do you mean the two hoses under the power steering canister?
#3 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 10:37 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I'm not sure. The dealer just said a leak in the power steering hose. hmmmmmm....
#4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 10:49 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
The canister sits about the top of the alternator and when leaking the alternater gets a nice bath with ATF fluid!! Good sign for bad hoses.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 11:48 PM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
There are 2 of them hoses, one is under pressure, and the other without. I had one of them replaced, and the other one I just put on a new clamp where it attaches to the reservoir. That's a common leak area, the OEM "crimp" clamps tend to be ineffective after a while.
But if they leak on the other end, you'd need to replace them.

The hose was $36 and labor charge was an hour.

#6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2004, 05:01 PM
5th Gear Member

Dberger

As we said The reservoir (black canister) sits not too far up from the alternater. Further if there is a leak somewhere (bottom side see Torque's advise above) it has to show somehow/somewhere; you may not see fluid spots on your driveway because of the underbody flat plastic shield. But look around the hoses for any leak anyway, you may get lucky spotting it. If not try below for a pic. of 528i reservoir. LAND MARK UNDER THE HOOD? try to read on one of the 4-5 caps (exclude radiater cap, winshield washer's, oil cap, diagnostic's) this : ATF FLUID ONLY. APPROVED FLUIDS ONLY etc etc Note that not all 5 series were created equal when it comes to power steering fluids. Some use ATF only, some don't. So you must use the PROPER FLUID. If not it will cost you a pump. Take a look at this pic and note the following:
A. There is oil leaking on both hoses under the black THING with a cap.
B. It reads ATF ONLY on the 8 sided cap.You will read it the second your mouse clicks the enlarge button below.
C. The alternator is shining from the fresh ATF fluid bath/leak. Cleansing effect.
D. The hose over the alternater has a dent and leaks when rubbing against the air filter box (removed)
I hope this is detailed enough to help you.
regards
billb

[attachmentid=14901]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_Picture_028.jpg
Views:	3236
Size:	569.0 KB
ID:	14312  
#7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 08:58 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Bill for all your help. How much do the hoses cost? and where can I buy?
I found a site here with 3 hoses? hmmmmmm..... do I need 3 hoses?

update: it turns out that I need a return hose ( which hose in the picture above is the return hose?) Cost of repair? do I also need fluid then? if so, the cap says ATF Only, is that all I need to look for or is there a specific brand I need to use?

http://catalog.alloembmwparts.com/?year=19...h_button23.y=14

dberger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)