BMW Werkz banner

PLEEZE- advice on aftermarket radio/CD for E39

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JayArras 
#1 · (Edited)
E39. Am upgrading 99 528i sedan Business, non DSP, cassette player. I have been impressed with large double DIN Chinese units Hualingan (can't remember the other company), but I think DVD in the dash of an auto is not a good idea. I also believe a GPS should be up by the rear view mirror/sunvisor (like my TomTom XL340 TM is)- it does not block my field of vision and is as close to my straight forward gaze as possible. I'm interested mostly in quality "hi-fi", and not so much in gadgets. That said, I'm definitely interested in satellite radio capability (Willie's Place!), bluetooth, and possibly iPod. So I'm looking at single DIN "CD receivers". Most of the units in the $200 range have these features standard. Like Alpine 105, Pioneer, and especially JVC Arsenal KD A815. I'm not adverse to more expensive units- just seems like it's not necessary, and generally, as units get more expensive, they grow DVD screens, which, as I said, I'm not interested in. Pretty close to getting JVC Arsenal KD A815 from Crutchfield with SOEM-4 adapter, dash panel adapter facia, PAC SWI-JACK for CAN bus volume/station control, instructions, antenna adapter, etc.

Please: any recommendations/favorite/best non-video head unit? Any experiences with the JVC radio? Seems the BMW amp in the trunk is not an an "amp" but a booster, and cannot accept "line level" input from the RCA's of the aftermarket radios. Runs off modified speaker output- accomplished (reduced) by the SOEM-4. At this point I'm not planning to change the stock BMW amp (booster).

Any opinions/experiences/thoughts on viability/quality of the PAC adapters? Any advice or experiences would be appreciated- thanks, Kip..................

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's an alternative to consider...

Phatbox Digital Music System for BMW

I'm not sure how well Sirius will play in a E39, but I KNOW this will rock, and you can keep the stock head unit (unless it's busted or something). Everything works from steering wheel controls, and the selections are ANNOUNCED over your speakers!

Once you start messing with the electronics in a BMW, you end up with a host of other problems, bro. Just a thought...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.