please help!!! who thinks they can figure this one out? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 07:08 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mybeamer is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
please help!!! who thinks they can figure this one out?

i have a 1994 bmw 530i 3.0L. The car one day cut off on me when i got off the highway. i tried to restart the car and it would crank but no start. like it wasnt getting spark or fuel. then after a little it started again. it did this more than 3 times. then i drove it for an hr ride. the next morning it wouldnt start again. i tested the old fuel pump and it wasnt coming on. when i bought a new pump, i hooked it up before installing in the tank and it didnt work. i have a tester that lets me apply power and ground to anything. so i gave the old pump direct power and it worked!! it looks like i have an intermittent problem. the pump is not recieving power all the time. one minute it does then it doesnt. we installed the old pump and the car ran. i drove it then parked it. woke up today and have the same problem. the pump isnt working again. i cant find the relay. not sure what to do. the key sometimes gets stuck when cycling it. i was thinking maybe an ignition problem with the cylinder for the key or a wire. or maybe the relay or the dme? please help all thoughts and ideas are welcomed. it sounds like everyone here has more experience in beamers than me. thank you everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 09:09 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
update on no start condition. the fuse for the fuel pump has ground only when it should have power. we can not get power to the fuse. where does power come from? relay to fuse? or ignition, then dme then relay? please help
#3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
It seems you're getting close, looking I think for a intermittently bad relay.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the advise witeshark. according to a flow chart it says if i lose ground at the fuse while cranking it can be the dme or crank sensor. im looking now for one and each store has to order the crank sensor.ill keep posted on my findings.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
update for 94 530i no start no power to fuel pump. i found the problem the crank sensor was the problem. thanks for replying witeshark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)