Please help me and my 1988 E28 M5!!!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1988 BMW E28 M5
Photos:
nightlviper is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to nightlviper Send a message via Skype™ to nightlviper
Exclamation Please help me and my 1988 E28 M5!!!!!

Hello all E28 fans! I am new to the forum let me introduce my self quickly. My name Is Tomas I am 20 years old. This E28 Is my second BMW. I bought it for $8500 (CAD) ( I now know I got ripped off) Anyway I love all BMW's especially older body styles ones. I though i got a good deal when buying this M5 but I sure was wrong. Well i need all of your advice is possible. I am planning to keep this car for ever, the thing Is I am getting ready for college and have no money at the moment.

So here's my questions
****The BAD WITH THE CAR****
-Needs New throttle cables ( Already replaced ).
-Needs Rear springs ( Ordered and will be replaced ).
-Front Drivers seat is MESSED Metal sticking out of the left side of the seat and the back rest wont go up in general the drivers seat is MESSED.
-Passenger seat some power options don't work ( Guessing nothing too hard to fix? ).
-On board computer doesn't tell time or date. Cannot set it? ( Needs a new on board computer? ).
-Needs New glove box.
-There is rust spots under the car and pretty decent ones too lol... .
-MOISTURE IN THE TRUNK!!!!! ( HELP)
-Missing battery cover
-Needs new Sunroof sliders + weather trim around the whole car.
-Some small chips and rust spots around the car as well
-Needs new paint job with time
-Needs new brakes/tires
-Needs new E-Brake cable
-Sometimes rarely 1st gear will grid, rarely again sometimes when I put it in 2nd gear it misses somehow like It is in neutral and then I have to do it again put It in 2nd and occasionally 3rd gear will grind for no reason ( could it be the clutch, tranny or Transmission Fluid? Please HELP ME ON THIS ONE!!!!
-The car starts shaking badly after reaching 80Km/H ( I'm guessing ball joints, control arms and bushings).
-Small Engine trim.
-Needs new sunroof sliders ( Are they hard to install? ).
-Leaking oil from what looks like the oil pan or it might be the seals ( Will replace them In time hopefully sooner than later ).
-Needs new cluster

****OK HERE IS MY ULTIMATE QUESTION****

I am planning to do an engine and Tranny rebuilt ( My Local Mechanic will probably do it he gave me a quick but not the exact estimate for the engine he said if you want it done properly it will cost you about 6-11k I'm guessing the tranny will be another 1-2k Obviously going to do all the seals head gasket etc.. HOW MUCH DO YOU GUYS THINK THE TOTAL JOB WILL BE FOR THE TRANNY AND ENGINE + GASKETS Obviously rebuilt it. My Mechanic charges $55/Hr + Parts and is it worth it ( I personally think it Is but that's just me ) Please advise. I Thank you all!

If I remember something else Ill let you know guys!! Thanks again for your Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz from a fellow Canadian.

I hope you got a PPI done prior to purchase, especially on an M5. Sounds like you might not have though. All this stuff can be fixed though so dont worry.

Usually a tranny rebuilt and re install including labour runs around $2,000. Removing the tranny alone is a labour intensive process. While the tranny is out, make sure to replace the clutch and flywheel. You wont want to pay for it to be done a second time.

What kind of a rebuild are you looking at? Full engine out, strip down rebuild? Is the mechanic doing ALL the work or will you be doing some? I think $6,000-11,000 is high unless your going for full engine out rebuild. A standard head off rebuild should run you around $3,000. The block can stay in the engine. You just need to remove and plane the head and replace the headgaskets. While its off, replace all rubber hoses, lines or any hard to get plastic parts. Rubber and plastic break down over time and fail. Better to do it when the head is off and things are easy to get to.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz from a fellow Canadian.

I hope you got a PPI done prior to purchase, especially on an M5. Sounds like you might not have though. All this stuff can be fixed though so dont worry.

Usually a tranny rebuilt and re install including labour runs around $2,000. Removing the tranny alone is a labour intensive process. While the tranny is out, make sure to replace the clutch and flywheel. You wont want to pay for it to be done a second time.

What kind of a rebuild are you looking at? Full engine out, strip down rebuild? Is the mechanic doing ALL the work or will you be doing some? I think $6,000-11,000 is high unless your going for full engine out rebuild. A standard head off rebuild should run you around $3,000. The block can stay in the engine. You just need to remove and plane the head and replace the headgaskets. While its off, replace all rubber hoses, lines or any hard to get plastic parts. Rubber and plastic break down over time and fail. Better to do it when the head is off and things are easy to get to.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Hey Thank you for the welcome!

I was thinking to do a full rebuilt but thats just me and eventually i would like to do a E34 M5 Touring motor Euro spec swap the 3.8L... but thats still a maybe.. Yeah I was thinking of doing the rubber seals and other small stuff while I am at that point.. I mean just like you said might as well.. Clutch and flywheel yup when rebuilding the tranny.. One question tho... I've read on forums that the G280 Tranny is really difficult to work with.. APPARENTLY IT TAKES A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF SKILL....?? What ever that means.. Thanks for your help!!! Here I've posted the same thing Please Help me and My 1988 E28 M5 - MyE28.com Got some good replies as well if you can check it out I have some photos there as well let me know what YOU think.. Always Open to tips and advice... Especially from a fellow Canadian!

Cheers!!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
You need a password to log into the E28 site where you posted.

Im not familair with the G280 transmission. But transmissions of any kind are usually quite delicated and require care and finese. They are the most complicated component of any vehicle.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Old 06-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
42, The meaning of life

Car: 2000 740iL Individual
Photos:
brettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nicebrettski is just really nice
Just my 2c worth, depending on how bad the rust is and where it is, you may want to look for another car with a good body and poor mechanical condition, and combine the best of both vehicles into one car. Good luck, it sounds like you have a lot of work in front of you. Make sure you keep a good photographic log of your progress.

Riding in style
brettski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski View Post
Just my 2c worth, depending on how bad the rust is and where it is, you may want to look for another car with a good body and poor mechanical condition, and combine the best of both vehicles into one car. Good luck, it sounds like you have a lot of work in front of you. Make sure you keep a good photographic log of your progress.
The rust is not too too bad... just bit underneath the car...I was thinking either weld In new metal or fibre glass I don't know yet... and Yeah I do have a lot of work! And yes I will keep a photo log! Thanks you!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
Your better off welding in new metal. Fiberglass isnt as stong and usually looks like shit.

Their was a guy in Sweeden/Finland (somewhere) that did a full frame off restoration to an E36 Alpina. Take a look at his thread below to see what he did for rust replacement. Very impressive IMO.

Alpina B3 3.0 E36 -94 Restoration - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums

Old 06-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
Your better off welding in new metal. Fiberglass isnt as stong and usually looks like shit.

Their was a guy in Sweeden/Finland (somewhere) that did a full frame off restoration to an E36 Alpina. Take a look at his thread below to see what he did for rust replacement. Very impressive IMO.

Alpina B3 3.0 E36 -94 Restoration - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
Thank you Appreciate it!
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)