Please Help Advice Needed - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jeff86h is on a distinguished road
Please Help Advice Needed

Hi all. First post on the forum.

I took my vehicle (530I 2004 w/82,000 miles) into the dealership to get the control arm replaced because the bushing was wearing away and it had a very slight pull to the left. With the car jacked up it had noticeable movement in the driver side wheel (about .25 of an inch). The next day i received a call saying they replaced the control arm, but now the steering is acting strange and they need to run a diagnostic and possibly recalibrate. A few hours later my service advisor called back and prefaced the conversation by stating he has terrible news - i need to replace my steering rack and my active power steering control module. Total cost $6,000.

Before i took my car in i had no knowledge of either of these going out. No leaks, no noise, no steering issues (except for the slight pull which i believe was caused by the worn control arm). Also, i had my car in the dealership for brakes less than a month ago. You think they would of said something if they noticed anything.

The car has been in a wreck. What they are saying is that sometime a wreck will reverse the polarity of the active steering and fry the module. Is this true? Even if it is why would my steering be fine until the dealership serviced it?

I haven't drove the car since i dropped it off, but what they are saying is that the steering feels loose and will suddenly jerk to one side.

I'm new to BMWs so, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Jeff
jeff86h is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jeff86h is on a distinguished road
To clarify the wreck mentioned above - The car was in a front end collusion and repaired a few years ago.
jeff86h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Please tell me you got a PPI prior to purchase. If not, thats okay as the car being in a wreck isnt the end of the world. You just want to make sure its been repaired properly.

The place you took it too you is trying to milk you for as much money as possible. That cost is bullshit. A rebuilt powersteering rack can be had for under $250. And if you needed a new rack, a pull would not be the only symptom. You would know something is very wrong. Ive replaced a power steering pump on a 04 320i and without power steering it is extremley difficult to steer. The power steering system is a pump that is powered by the drive belt, with two lines that feed to and from the power steering rack. Thats it. I have never ever, heard or seen of a "power steering control module".

Their called Stealerships for a reason. Markup on parts can and has exceeded 100%! I have actually seen 250% on some parts from a dealership over the actual manufacturers price! We had a "worst dealer markup" thread on another forum i belong to.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)