BMW Werkz banner

Planned upgrades for E39 540i...input requested

6K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  first5ny 
#1 ·
I've had my 1997 540i for a few weeks now (pic from delivery below), and it's everything I thought it would be :D ...well, almost, which is why I plan a few visual upgrades. I would like your input.

I'm getting the windows tinted 35% all around (except windshield of course) in a couple weeks. After that, there's several things I want to do: clear fronts, sidemarkers, and Celis taillights, and 18" M-Parallel wheels.

Here's my dilemma: it will likely be August or later before I'm ready to do the wheels (first, because I'm not willing to toss my current tires yet, and second, because I'm a college student and I need to save up the internship money this summer before I can afford $1500 for new wheels and tires), but the lights will only cost about $400, so I could do those just about anytime. What I wonder, though, is will the clear lights look OK with the stock wheels (which I hate)? I'm having trouble envisioning that look -- clears with stock wheels and tint -- and I'm not sure if it would look good or not.

Please tell me what you think I should do. On a side note, do you think anyone would buy my stock wheels?

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The clears will look fine with your stock wheels. I kinda likem.

As far as selling them, all you can do is try.

You might want to keep them so when you sell the car you can include them in the sale.

#3 ·
Thanks Silver.

Yeah, it doesn't look like the wheels I have go for hardly anything, so I may keep them. One thing about my new wheels, is that I'm a little uneasy about buying replicas...most people haven't had any problems at all, but a few have horror stories of replica rims bending a lot, or even cracking, since they are cast rather than forged. I don't think I could afford the $2000+ for real forged rims though. Anyone have experience/opinions on this?

And any other thoughts on the lights?

#4 ·
I just bought a '97 528i and I'm also checking out upgrades. I've always liked subtle changes that look stock, not pimped. I'm thinking about putting chrome bezels (sp?) on the instruments. They run about $40 , or so. My car came with tinted windows and I've decided I like the privacy that it gives. Just my thoughts.....

#5 ·
I agree, I don't like the pimped look either. That's why I want to use the same BMW taillights that came on '01+ 5-ers, and BMW-style wheels. The only thing I don't think was every truly stock (on my style headlights) was the clear fronts, although the '01+ Angel Eye headlights had clear corners. I'm still waiting for powerm to post pics of his clear corners in the other thread :)

#6 ·
A lower grille upgrade may look very nice on your ride.

Contact me at mr.mpl@sbcglobal.net for more info.

#7 ·
Yeah, mrmpl, I've seen your work before, that looks real good. I may get one of those one day, and I know who to contact!

Tell me, are those smoked corners on your ride in the top pic? Or the regular "clears" (which are really more white)?

#8 ·
I got the "smoked" clears - procarparts.com

#9 ·
Do you have any front-quarter pictures of the car with the lights off? I'd like to see what the smokes look like then, on a view of the whole car with the lights off. Thanks

#10 ·
Sure- here ya go!
B)

B)

#11 ·
Very cool, thank you.

I think I'm leaning towards those, because they don't stand out as much as the white clears do. It's a smoother look, I think. Thanks for the pics!

#12 ·
Your car looks really great.I love the black.Mine is silver,i imported it from Japan where a heap of german cars are silver.Fitted the angel eyes and clear rears 2months ago,and the later grill.Yours would look beautiful with the lites.
Mr.mpl@sbcglobal has a groovy grill which looks better than most....if you can get him to reply to emails !
Try for some Motorsport M5 wheels later.
Chers and good luck.

PS........Fitted the M5 front and rear swaybars.....not as bad as everyone makes out to do.Made a massive difference to the handling.Parts not expensive either.
Here are the BMW part numbers: M5 front swaybar 31-35-2-229-080.
2 front bushes for it 31-35-2-229-544.

Rear M5 swaybar 33-55-2-229-136.
Rear Bushes 33-55-229-604.

#13 ·
Cool looking car just like it is.

But IF it was my car I would do:

1) the clears all the way 'round
2) tires/rims
3) handling
3) performance
5) audio
6) all the other touches

Some of the less expensive things you can do sooner but handling/performance are what I like to concentrate on.
Maybe some nicer speakers (subwoofer) might make their way up the list.

My 2c, but that's just me.

#15 ·
Originally posted by Silver4evr@May 2 2004, 08:32 PM
Cool looking car just like it is.

But IF it was my car I would do:

1) the clears all the way 'round
2) tires/rims
3) handling
3) performance
5) audio
6) all the other touches

Some of the less expensive things you can do sooner but handling/performance are what I like to concentrate on.
Maybe some nicer speakers (subwoofer) might make their way up the list.

My 2c, but that's just me.
Hey you two "silver" people, thanks again for the input!

A little update: Silver4Evr mentioned the sound system, which I've done first; I replaced all the cabin speakers with MB Quarts last weekend and the sub is getting here on Tuesday. Next will be tinting, then clear corner fronts (or smoked, I STILL can't decide), clear markers and CELIS-like tails. Rims/tires will probably come eventually, but that's a big chunk of change (and I've got to buy a...ah...certain ring this year :D) so I'll probably hold off on those for awhile.

After the clears I think I may do the lower front grill thing too. It looks sharp!

#16 ·
Here ya go - a couple of pics of the lower grill on a black bimmer.

#18 ·
Originally posted by mrogers@May 2 2004, 09:10 PM
1) Next will be tinting,
2) then clear corner fronts (or smoked, I STILL can't decide), .
3) After the clears I think I may do the lower front grill thing too.
1) which tint products are you looking at?

2) I vote for the smoked clears.

3) My 2c. Powder coat the metal grill black.

#19 ·
I'm not too well versed in tinting brands, so I was going to do a little more research and talk to the guys at Ziebart. All I know is that I want 35%, and not very reflective. If anyone wants to help educate me on tinting, I'd appreciate it :)

#20 ·
Originally posted by mrogers@May 3 2004, 10:01 PM
I'm not too well versed in tinting brands, so I was going to do a little more research and talk to the guys at Ziebart. All I know is that I want 35%, and not very reflective. If anyone wants to help educate me on tinting, I'd appreciate it :)
i have ziebart 35%
i'll get a picture of my car as soon as i can (almost midnight). they do a good job and have lifetime warranty i think. can't remember how much it cost, but it wasn't too bad. under $200. didn't take long either.

edwin

#21 ·
Originally posted by trunks@May 4 2004, 04:45 AM
[
Thanks!

Celis Taillights, Hella Angel eyes and clear blinkers is the way to go!
[/quote]
Post some pics of your ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.