BMW Werkz banner

Performance Chip Question

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  The Deuce 
#1 ·
I have a 1994 540i. I was looking online for a performance chip and I noticed a "high performance motronic chip" that increases the horsepower from 282 to "about 320" and the top speed to "170 MPH". It seems too good to be true. Is this all a bunch of crap? What should I know about performance chips??

#5 ·
Yeah, I have seen this seller with this chip many times. Good feedback but before I stick in a new chip I want to know more about it. Most of the time is is just dumping more fuel & air into the system and turning the fuel economy to crap... If you do go ahead with the purchase (and be the guinea pig) Please post back and let us know how it goes and if the claim is true.. :)

#10 ·
That kind of gain is theoretically possible, based on what the factory timing and A/F is. I've seen people pick up that much with a great dyno tune with stock V8's of other makes.

If you're thinking about getting a chip, I would recommend one that some of these guys posted or get one burned while you've got some dyno time. That way it would be optimized for your car and any of its quriks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.