Parking brake light stays on even when not on - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 01:26 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yellowistheway is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Parking brake light stays on even when not on

Hi, the same day I got my car back from being serviced at the dealership for a rough idle (they replaced the CCV), my parking brake sensor light came on and the car drove as if the parking brake was being used when it was not! I could not accelerate over 20 mph which made for a dangerous situation. I had to turn on the hazards and creep up the hill to my neighborhood. I wonder if I am being had by the dealership because this was NOT a problem before taking it in for the idle. Good news--rough idle problem resolved. Bad news--now I have this parking brake problem which is worse. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 03:33 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
^^ What year and model do you have? What do you mean the car drove as if the parking brake was on? Did it feel like the rear brakes were applied? Was the engine being rev limited, or was it revving really high, yet going really slowly? Do you hear an alarm/chime when the car is moving? Manual or automatic?

I see three possible scenarios:

1) The parking brake is applied and stuck, even though the handle (I assume) is not in the applied position.
2) The parking brake switch is faulty or stuck. This would explain the light staying on. I've never heard of anything like this, but perhaps your car is newer and limits power if it detects (or thinks, via the switch) the parking brake is engaged.
3) Maybe a problem with the traction control.

Did you try reengaging the hand brake and disengaging again?

Please lets us know more about the issue. Answer the questions above the best you ca. This will help us diagnose the problem quicker.

#3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 03:35 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Did the car behave this way when you drove away from the dealer? Since the dealership just serviced your car, you can always take it back to them and have them fix it. You can call BMW NA if they refuse, explaining that this problem was not present when you took the car to them.

#4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:02 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the prompt response. I have a yr 2000 528i. Immediately after I drove away from the service department the brake light, (i) light, and EML light came on. I just came back from the dealership and they said the throttle body now needs to be replaced. However, the diagnostic test performed on the car did not reveal any throttle body issues before the CCV was replaced by the technician. I have read somewhere that to replace the CCV, you must remove the throttle body and be careful so that you don't damage the throttle body. It seems suspicious that now after having the CCV replaced, the throttle body needs to be replaced espcecially when it was NOT an issue prior to going to the dealership (even their diagnostics confirmed). The dealership is saying "it's just coincidence" that the throttle would need repair now. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:23 PM
drz
Administrator

Well, it could be a coincidence. The throttle valve failing does sound like a possible cause for the issues you are having. Please don't take this the wrong way, but, why didn't you turn around right away as you were leaving the dealership and have them look at it? It would have been harder for them to sell the coincidence story.

In any case, I'd like to think that someone at the dealership should have noticed the problem during their final test drive

Anyhow, good luck.

#6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:59 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
You are right about turning around, but I wasn't able to pick up my vehicle until after work and I made it to the dealership in the "nick of time." I read over the documents (pretty standard), paid the money and left. I guess I could have gone back and knocked on the windows and doors. I left the dealership at 6:00 p.m. and returned with my vehicle the very next morning at 7:00 a.m. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know if anything else needs repair right after this due to "coincidence."
#7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 AM
drz
Administrator

It sounds like you really didn't have much of a choice. Sucks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)