The parents go car shopping - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nosuchsol is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey Guys,

Well, the time came. My parents have been waiting patiently for the new 5 to come out before shopping for a new vehicle. Since I got my e46 328i they've decided to hold off until the new bodystyle was out. Dad didn't want to get a new car and find out that the next year a new body would replace it. He has been a huge fan of the Audi's so the new A4 was on the top of the list. The competitors were the A4, E320, and the new unseen(in person) 530i. The first day I went with them to test drive the cars.... we went to Audi first and drove a couple different A4 versions which dad REALLY wanted but I didn't think it was a step up from the GS300(older bodystyle) AND still had some complaints that he didn't want to deal with. We were there for 2 hours mostly b/c he liked it so much. Anyhow, since we stayed there so long we only got to look at the MB and the BMW. They had 3 530's sitting pretty on the front of the lot. First impression was that the pictures don't do it justice... then getting to look at it closely, touch it, get in it and fiddle really got me going. The MB was nice as well.. very luxurious but a little plain inside. We had a college ball game to see so not much time was spent but seemed that the A4 was out and the E320 was now on top but they both needed to be test driven.

The next day the parents went to drive both the BMW and the MB - I went to church and then lunch with my friends so I didn't get to go but was interested to see what they though. At home they explained how great the 5er was... Mom basically said that the e320 was luxurious but the 530i was luxury+, very sporty, very smooth, and much more comfortable. The truth is, I do think that the Mercedes is a great car but the new 5er really excites me. Still no new car though, but the 5 is now the one.

On thursday dad was going to see how much he could get for the GS300 as a trade-in so he left work early(we work together). Around 4pm they get home in their new 530i in Titanium Gray Metallic. It is truly a beautiful car and once you drive it you know that it's still a BMW. The more you get to drive and look around the better it gets. I do think that this is revolutionary and not evolutionary. It has a mean stance, edgy appearance and some amazing lines. The way that it reflects light at certain angles just increases it's beauty. The inside is really appealing. It's not overdone with buttons - just clean lines. The iDrive is still a pain in the butt. The leather is comfortable - it's that cushion they add.

I have my 328i parked next to it and it makes my car look 40 years old. The 5 is just a stunning car. I think that the new 7 even looks bland or plain compared to this car. Again, the driving is just great. It has very minimal body roll even without the sports package(couldn't talk them into it), acceleration is there, shifts smooth, and very responsive.

Have any questions just ask - this isn't a thread about how much you think Bangle sucks, but can't stop you if you feel that way. I wish I had a better digital camera to take pics with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw5er.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	3856  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 07:50 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
what kind of picture is that!? :lol: j/k. awesome car. after seeing the speedTV test drive of the new 530i i now love the design. they have active roll stabilization which can take like .5 transverse G's and still remain flat. iDrive has been simplified so if you dont like the new one, you would most likely despise the old version which was on the 7.

congrats on the car
#3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

nosuchsol is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
yah.. the picture stinks.. lol. I told you I have a crappy 1mp camera. I want a new camera but I just bought a widescreen tv so I'm holding off... anyhow, here's another which doesn't even look like the same color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP01220.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	3875  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)