Panic! Low Oil Pressure Warning. 540i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:43 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
meditek is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Yesterday, I gave the engine compartment a good clean with engine cleaner and then water etc.

Today, I was pottering along to the shops and 'Bong' on comes the 'STOP - low oil pressure' warning. I stopped and checked the oil - ok full. Switched on and this time the 'oil can' just glowed a dull red - no warning. Tried higher revs - no change. Got home and stopped. After a minute or so 'Bong'!

I'm pretty sure I upset something with the cleaning and this is a duff sensor (why no proper pressure gauge?). I've never heard of sudden partial loss of oil pressure. I got sprayed with oil peeping in the filler cap so there's plenty about.

Question is do I risk driving it to the garage or spend out on getting it transported there at huge expense?
Thanks

BMW E39 540i 1997 83K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 07:35 PM
n00b

Hownowevilcow is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that it sounds like you blew the sensor loose with the water pressure.
However; if you think the tow charge is a huge expense, you ain't seen nothing if the engine goes oil starved.
I'd play around a bit in the garage and see if you can locate the sensor- May be a wiggle of a wire fixes your problem. If no, I think I'd tow- No questions asked- it's cheap insurance.

1998 540i
Dinan stage 1
CAI
"Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun"
#3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Go buy yourself AAA, and have them tow it... AAA is like 50/year and offer free towing up to 5 miles(or 100 miles if you get their platinum membership).. and its like a couple dollars every mile thereafter.

saved my ass more then once when I forgot my wallet and had to have my car towed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)