Paint or replace Side Molding? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 03:55 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Twin Que is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Have a 97 E39 & a 98 E36 convertible. Both are silver. Want to replace or paint the side black moldings all around. i thik the color matched molding look good and would set off both cars with a uniques alomost new OEM look. Anyone know or can point me in the right direction to do this without screwing up my nice vehicles? Most paint shops will do the work but will not guarantee the paint job because they say it will eventually peel. Does anyone know where to purchase paintable trim all around for each vehicle? Thanks

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='colorurple'>Friendship is Essential to the Soul</span> </span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Balucanb is an unknown quantity at this point
Whatever you do, DO NOT PAUNT THE CURRENT MOKDING!!!! The paint will indeed peel. Do what I did, I have a 98, go to the dealer and just biy all new moldings all the way around, they can get it unpainted/untreated then have that painted to match. Unfortunitly (sp) they do not sell "Showdowline" trim for out year ghead . You will have to modify the molding a little or at least I did, I can't tell you if it was becase they changed the way it was made or the unpainted kind was from a different year or if they just started to make it different??? But it is no big deal really it only affected the mount points on the bumpers, the side piece's were a perfect match. Good Luck.

A tip for the Girls........
If you think you're fat, you probably are. Don't ask us. We refuse to answer.
My Pictures
<a href='http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=256629' target='_blank'>http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view...?page_id=256629</a>
#3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 05:14 AM
Neutral Member

Twin Que is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the tip. Good idea. Will go to BMV and get new molding. BTW, nice pics of your car. Been to Germany & know how the competition there does there cars........ Heidelberg 3years!!!!

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='colorurple'>Friendship is Essential to the Soul</span> </span>
#4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Balucanb is an unknown quantity at this point
3+ years Friedberg, 3 Bremerhaven and 4 years Kitzingen!!

A tip for the Girls........
If you think you're fat, you probably are. Don't ask us. We refuse to answer.
My Pictures
<a href='http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=256629' target='_blank'>http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view...?page_id=256629</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)