Paint Cracks - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
alirzn is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Paint Cracks

Hi Guys,
There are some cracks on the paint of my 2004 530I hood. The color is dark blue and I am not sure why it happened? I think it is because of the sun. Here I have attached the picture. Does anyone know how I can fix that? It is on the hood and it does not look nice. thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracks.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	907.8 KB
ID:	30134  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:54 PM
n00b

husker4life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alirzn View Post
Hi Guys,
There are some cracks on the paint of my 2004 530I hood. The color is dark blue and I am not sure why it happened? I think it is because of the sun. Here I have attached the picture. Does anyone know how I can fix that? It is on the hood and it does not look nice. thanks
The only way to fix that is to repaint. If you take it somewhere to have it repainted, make sure they do it right. The only way to make sure the cracks never come back is to sand all the way past the cracks. If you do not sand past the cracks they're just gonna come through the new paint.

I had paint on an old jeep that cracked all the way to metal so I had to sand all the way down to the metal. It is a lot of time and a lot of sanding, but you gotta do it right

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide App
#3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
I prefer to not re-paint it. How can I make it looks better? Does polish or wax like turtle wax black box work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker4life View Post
The only way to fix that is to repaint. If you take it somewhere to have it repainted, make sure they do it right. The only way to make sure the cracks never come back is to sand all the way past the cracks. If you do not sand past the cracks they're just gonna come through the new paint.

I had paint on an old jeep that cracked all the way to metal so I had to sand all the way down to the metal. It is a lot of time and a lot of sanding, but you gotta do it right

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide App
#4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 PM
n00b

4given is on a distinguished road
It looks like your clear coat is cracking. Here's what I'd do, I would tape off the area surrounding the cracks leaving the cracks exposed. Then I would sand down the area lightly with 1200 grit wet sandpaper. Find a can of paint that matches and spray light coats until fully covered.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Do you think that insurance cover that?
#6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 AM
n00b

Nope! Insurance will never cover stuff like that.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 04:55 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alirzn View Post
Do you think that insurance cover that?
I wouldnt want to claim something like that through insurance. Risk of your premiums increaseing isnt worth it.

If it is in fact just your clear coat then it may be quite easy to fix. By wetsanding it you can remove the damaged parts of the clearcoat. If it is the clearcoat, and you are able to sand it down then re-spraying it with clear should be easy.

Your best bet would be to talk to a local reputable body shop. A full repaint of the hood could be anywhere from $500-1,000. BUT, you want to pay for it once and have it done right the first time. Trust me. I can post a picture of what happens when a hood repaint is not done properly. That picture is of MY hood. It started rusting under the roundel and by the time it was noticeable the damage had already been done and a full repaint is required.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 05:08 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4given View Post
It looks like your clear coat is cracking. Here's what I'd do, I would tape off the area surrounding the cracks leaving the cracks exposed. Then I would sand down the area lightly with 1200 grit wet sandpaper. Find a can of paint that matches and spray light coats until fully covered.
This isnt good advice. First, when have you ever seen a rattle can that will match your factory paint code? I have, but only in Germany.

Just spraying over the crack wont prevent them from getting worse or speading. You will also have to re-clear coat the area to protect it.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 05:23 PM
n00b

You're right, what was I thinking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)