BMW Werkz banner

Outside Temp Reading

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Bear 
#1 ·
My temp gauge is reading in the 60's, while it's in the 90's outside. This is throwing off the climate control into blowing heat.

Obviously, I can take it to the shop, but wondered if there were any diy tips I could try first.

Let me know.

Thanks. JAH

#6 ·
It's a '99 528i with sport-prem pkg. Does that make it an E39?

I think I found it under the front bumper on the passenger side, snapped into a recessed area in the engine cover. Didn't have time to see how it connects, but plan to today.

Is there a better place on the internet to buy parts than the local dealer?

I appreciate all the suggestions so far! Thanks!

#7 ·
I do not believe that the outside temp sensor is your problem as that sensor only feeds the OBC not the HVAC. The HVAC has an interior temp sensor that monitors temperature near the evapoarator, additionally you may have a micro filter in the sytem that if clogged will slow air flow. I would check your AC pressures and see if she needs a charge before I put money out for a temp sensor and also look at the micro filter to see if it needs to be replaced.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Bear@Aug 27 2005, 12:15 PM
I do not believe that the outside temp sensor is your problem as that sensor only feeds the OBC not the HVAC. The HVAC has an interior temp sensor that monitors temperature near the evapoarator, additionally you may have a micro filter in the sytem that if clogged will slow air flow. I would check your AC pressures and see if she needs a charge before I put money out for a temp sensor and also look at the micro filter to see if it needs to be replaced.
[snapback]372819[/snapback]​
Seems like the sensor does affect the climate control. Today, the temp reading on the dash shows the correct outside temp and the automatic a/c is working. The other day when it read 60 (should have been 90), and the a/c was set on 75, it had the heater running.

Nothing worse than an intermittant problem.

Thanks for the reply.

JH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.